cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS Stacking X670V-48t (VIM4-40G4X) with X460-G2 (VIM2q)

EXOS Stacking X670V-48t (VIM4-40G4X) with X460-G2 (VIM2q)

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi,

i want to stack the above 2 Switches with 40GB VIM Modules. Regarding Datasheets it should work fine. But one thing i do not keep in mind.
The switch came out of the box with different licenses! So it is not possible to stack this 2 switches together.

See here:
02/19/2016 17:50:18.57 Slot-2: Slot-1 FAILED (1) License Mismatch

02/19/2016 17:50:18.57 Slot-2: Slot-1 has failed for the reason of "License Mismatch".

Slot-2 Stack.4 # sh licenses

Enabled License Level:

Edge Enabled Feature Packs:

None

Effective License Level:

Edge

Slot-2 Stack.5 #

* X670V-48t.1 # sh licenses

Enabled License Level:

Advanced Edge

Enabled Feature Packs:

None

* X670V-48t.2 #

Is it possible to "downgrade" the X670V to edge license to avoid this stacking problem ? Or is the only way to buy the advanced edge license for the X460-G2 ?

Regards
9 REPLIES 9

M_Nees
Contributor III
Thanks to all of you for giving me high valueable advices!

The stack is working now - how it should be ...

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
X460G2 is preferred over X670V, because it has a better control plane (better CPU). Master role is CPU intensive, so it's logical to set the best CPU as Master. In terms of dataplane, no matter which one is the Master.

Mixing x460G2 with x670V is not a bad idea, especially considering SummitStack-V160. That's a lot of bandwidth available for stacking links.

As for the various HW limits, please note that EXOS is smart enough to optimize resource usage. It's NOT as simple as "down to the lowest capable".

André_Herkenrat
Extreme Employee
we built this combination very often and had no problems with reaching any limits. as long as you stay in the same class of products it works flawless.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi David,

In this case the x670 will be the limiter considering the x460 is a G2. The intended use of the stack is a good question but you are correct in saying that you are limited by the resources available on the switches.
GTM-P2G8KFN