cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS VM absorbing ERPS packets causing other switch to stay in Pending ERPS state

EXOS VM absorbing ERPS packets causing other switch to stay in Pending ERPS state

Luis_Coelho
New Contributor
After a lot of unsuccessful tries to build a VM lab with 5 switches in EAPS ring and other 2 in a ERPS subring of the main ring, I started to capture packets in VirtualBox and found out that the switches are absorbing the R-APS packets instead of forwarding them into the control VLAN. Is that expected behaviour?
That is causing one of the interconnected nodes (the one away from the RPL) to remain in Pending state because it never receives R-APS packets from the root.

The EAPS ring, starting with the master, is: S5 - S3 - S2 - S4 - S1 - S5.
The ERPS subring is S1-S7-S6-S3, being S7 the RPL master and S6 the neighbor.
S1 and S6 both receive packets from S7, and remain in Idle state, but S3 does not.
The ERPS control vlan is configured and protected in the EAPS ring. ERPS config in the interconnected nodes are correctly tied to EAPS ring (otherwise it wouldn't even allow me to enable it because they have only one ring port).

The only 2 differences from every other lab here in Hub and in Extreme Docs are:
- All of them uses CFM. I'm using ELSM to monitor links. Shouldn't be a issue according to the docs because CFM is used only to monitor link state and is optional.
- All of them have small rings/subrings, so they never have a switch 2 nodes away from the RPL master.

I have tried with VM 16.2 and 22.1 with the same result.

Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
Hi Luis,

As Stephen mentioned, this is a bug in EXOS VM. This only affects the R-APS packets, but it will prevent any ERPS rings with >3 nodes from functioning with EXOS VM.

This is documented in the ERPS project on the EXOS VM GitHub page:
https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS/blob/master/gns3_projects/erps_subring/README.md

-Brandon

OscarK
Extreme Employee
Are you sure the vSwitch is forwarding the packets to EXOS ?

Thanks for the information. I'll have to build the lab with real switches...

StephenW
Extreme Employee
This is a current bug in EXOS-VM. You can see in our ERPS GNS3 project we noted this issue. https://github.com/extremenetworks/Virtual_EXOS/blob/master/gns3_projects/erps_subring/README.md

GTM-P2G8KFN