cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploring stacking x440 via sfp+ with x670v, is it possible?

Exploring stacking x440 via sfp+ with x670v, is it possible?

Gene_Fontanilla
New Contributor
Is it possible to stack x440 with x670v, I'm planning to stack 2 x670v with 2 x440.

when I do "show stacking", the x670v shows that it detects the other x670v showing its mac-address. but not the x440.

I'm using v160 stacking on the x670v via VIM40G4X stacking module, and want to stack the x440 with the x440 using the sfp+ slot 49:50

9 REPLIES 9

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
You can build such a stack. The X670V would most likely use 40G ports for stacking, and you would use 10G to stack with x440-10G. The 10G ports on the x670V are alternate stacking port.

You should read the Summit Hardware Guide for details on how to connect the switches and build your switch, and User Guide for the config part.

http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit/downloads/SummitFamily_HW_Install.pdf
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos/downloads/EXOS_User_Guide_15_6.pdf

Obviously, such a stack would bring some limitations due to the x440 scalability. I would encourage you to stay at L2 and put the x440 in standby role. Validate the scaling of the x440 is enough for the stack.

Thank you! I have stacked the switches!

eyeV
New Contributor III
Firstly I'm not sure that you can mix VIM ports with SFP+ ports. I haven't found anything about it in Concepts Guide. I'm just not sure about it. Secondly you should enable stacking support on SFP+ ports.

Something about it in Concepts Guide.

Also, while logged into each node, if you plan to use the SummitStack-V feature, configure the required alternate ports on that node or enable stacking-support as required
When the stacking-support option is enabled, data communications stops on the physical data ports listed in Support for Alternative Stack Ports on page 143. When stacking is enabled (with the enable stackingcommand), the stacking protocol for logical stack ports 1 and 2 operates on the physical data ports listed in this table.
I recommend to read Concepts Guide. It's really useful and well written guide.

Gene_Fontanilla
New Contributor
Can anyone give clearance to this matter? thanks
GTM-P2G8KFN