Export All Serials XMC

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Is there a way I can get a csv of all the devices I have in XMC? 

When I use the Export to CSV button in the devices tab it does not show the serials for all devices in a stack or all blades in a chassis.
Photo of Terren Crider

Terren Crider

• 1,564 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of David Coglianese

David Coglianese, Embassador

• 7,138 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I still use the legacy inventory manager/ capacity planning to pull this type of inventory. I am not aware of them importing it to the webclient. 
Photo of Terren Crider

Terren Crider

Was inventory manager not included in version 8?  I don't seem to have it.

I'm not sure.

It's not an option under devices/legacy?

I was on lunch and replied from my phone.

That was a nice feature that I recently used to clear up some registration issues for a customer. 

Are you aware if they migrated the functionality? Or is it just gone?
Photo of Brad Parker

Brad Parker, Technical Support Engineer

• 3,592 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Photo of SH

SH

• 4,770 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Terren,

if you are a little bit familiar with scripting there is a easy way via the REST-API.
You have to use two steps (you can try both steps in your browser)

1. Get all devices (and there ips)  with this command:  "https://YourNetSightIP:8443/axis/services/NetSightDeviceWebService/getAllDevices". Take all ips form the answer to this request and put the ips in the command here:
  2. "https://YourNetSightIP:8443/axis/services/InventoryWebService/getDeviceProperties?ipAddress=IpFromStepOne" in a loop of you script.
=> Now you have all you need ;-)

If you use the both calls in you script you can add you credentials to the string. If you use the browser you are requested to fill in you creds.

Have fun.

Best regards
Stephan
(Edited)
Photo of Ed McGuigan

Ed McGuigan

• 500 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephan:
Were is the documentation for the REST API? I just can't seem to find it anywhere and I need to be able to find a switch based on its MAC.

I would also like to be able to launch an EMC script from an external script so hopefully the API is quite extensive and will support that.

Tahnks,

Ed.
Photo of SH

SH

Hello Ed,

here is a link to the REST API documentation (but this document is quite old!):

https://www.extremenetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/OneFabric_Connect_API_Reference_Guide.pdf

If you need the most up to date (and complete) information go to you XMC (EMC) and call:

https://EMC:8443/axis/services/NetSightDeviceWebService?wsdl 

For informations according the other subsystems (NAC...) change the "NetSightDeviceWebService" in the previous link. More informations you will find in the PDF.

In my opinion there is no way to start a script on EMC via the API.

Best regards
Stephan
Photo of Ed McGuigan

Ed McGuigan

Stephan:

You are a gentleman and a scholar. This is great.

Thanks,

Ed.
Photo of SH

SH

Hey Ed,

I have an idea.

To start your EMC script through an external skript, you could send a syslog message to EMC from your external script. Then you listen with the alarm manager on the syslog entry and start your script in the EMC via alarm manager.

Best regards
Stephan
Photo of Ed McGuigan

Ed McGuigan

That is a great idea Stephan and entirely appropriate. We have Aerohive Access Points that are going "dark" on us. I have to cycle POE on the switch port to bring them back to life. We have 14,000 of them so it's not suitable for ongoing manual intervention. I can find them from their management system using a REST API along with LLDP data giving the BASE MAC and port of the Extreme switch. I will be able to use your API to get a switch IP address and kick off an event that takes the data and runs the script. Good thinking man.

Cheers,

Ed.
Photo of SH

SH

Glad, that i could help you.

Stephan
Photo of Yacobucci, Ryan

Yacobucci, Ryan, Multi-Tier Technical Support Engineer

• 5,470 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

In Extreme Management Center click on Reports --> PDF Reports 

There should be an "Inventory Report" under "Inventory Manager" 

Let me know if this gets you what you need.

Thanks
-Ryan
Photo of Terren Crider

Terren Crider

That report doesn't show the serials of all devices in a stack or the blades in a chassis.

It more or less just outputs the devices screen.
(Edited)
Photo of SH

SH

• 4,626 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Terren,

try the REST-API in my opinion you will find all necessary infos.

Best regards
Stephan
Photo of Terren Crider

Terren Crider

Admittedly I haven't tried the REST API or the Asset Discovery Tool (both of which I will when I get a chance), but I was pointed the right way by TAC and my account rep.

Network > Devices > Use the drop-down toward the left to select "by Device Type" > Use the three-bar menu > Configuration/Firmware > Register/Export Serial Numbers...

This gives the full printout of all devices, blades, modules with serials.  Previously, I'd tried that with the drop-down menu on "by Location" which did not give the full list.