cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Extended Guest Wireless Access

Extended Guest Wireless Access

Rich_Pacheco
New Contributor III
Hi. I'm trying to find a solution for a unique situation. Currently, we have 2 SSIDs configured. One is for our 802.1x users and the other is a Guest. Our guest wireless users currently connect to the open Guest SSID and are taken to the Captive Portal page where they have to enter their information and they can choose to receive an SMS or Email with an access code. Once they enter their access code, they get wireless access for 24 hours.

This is all done with 3610 APs, an HA pair of V2110 Controllers (v.09.21.17.0006) and NACs (v.8.0.2.42).

I have a department whose students aren't university members and do not have university credential's and therefore are unable to utilize the 802.1x network. But, they have to utilize their personal devices to access the network and are currently trying to use the Guest wireless. The problem is that they have to register their devices every time they come to campus.

I'm wondering if there is a way to give them "long-term" guest wireless access (3 months). I would prefer not to add another SSID. I know that I can extend access and set it expire on any date I want, but I would prefer it not be an IT function every few months. I guess I'm looking for something similar to a hotel where a guest gets an access code when they check-in and their access is good for the length of their stay.

Ideally, it would be great if there was an interface that would allow the department to "sponsor" these users for a set length of time above the standard 24-hour guest access.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Rich P.
3 REPLIES 3

Rich_Pacheco
New Contributor III
Thanks guys. You guys gave me some great direction. I appreciate the quick responses.

-Rich P.

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
Hi You can use sposored registration = optional. So guest will not fill it or will not be approved by sponsor. The long term guest will fill the same form and the sponsor will add the sponsor may modify the expiration Other option is that sponsor will add the the long-term guest to the group. That group may be emptied once a quarter automaticaly (by script) Other option can be: automated acript what will remove the endsystem from such group based on the date of sponsor approvam. Regards Z.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Ostrovsky__Yury
Extreme Employee
Hi Rich, the question is how to defferrntiate regular guests from those non-campus students? Do you have any registration system (as you said -like in hotel) ? If yes, then it will be quite easy to do. Upon registration, the system will also automatically send an API call to your NMS with the user details - e g name and expiration time. It is just one URI which will be formed by the registration system.
GTM-P2G8KFN