Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Management Config Templates shows detailed XML content

Extreme Management Config Templates shows detailed XML content

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Not sure if anyone has tried the configuration template feature in Extreme Management 8.1 yet, but whenever I try to use it on EXOS devices (same on older versions of 8.1), I get whats shown in the screenshot below, taken from the current latest version 8.1.4.40:

31e3dca0a110450fa9b686739d84c871_RackMultipart20180930-102294-1rch77e-Template-Tool_inline.png

This works fine with EOS, i.e. it displays normal CLI as you would expect. But when using EXOS is displays detailed configuration in XML, I suspect that the reason is due to the .cfg file being used in the template for EXOS instead of the script file.

Is there perhaps an option I've missed, or is EXOS not supported yet?

Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
Hi Martin.

I agree it is little uncomfortable to edit/search the XML, however it is not blocking you to create the template. The creation of template works well in 8.1.4.40.

The restore of the configuration works also, however you need to change the profile manually after the template is sent to the switch.

It is nature of XOS to store the config in XML.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

I vote also for the possibility to create Config-templates based on existing EXOS config backups with XMC in a very easy manner. Same way like EOS.
Using EXOS with XML is too much complicated and error-prone!

Currently i used XMC scripting to create EXOS Config Templates. There i can define Variables and the needed set of CLI commands.

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello,

I agree with David. Templates are (and will be) used for new switches. If the customer has a running switch he will use other functions like scripts to change settings, but not a template.

The name template also suggests exactly this use, not the use for config changes.

Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello,

I agree with David. Templates are (and will be) used for new switches. If the customer has a running switch he will use other functions like scripts to change settings, but not a template.

The name template also suggests exactly this use, not the use for config changes.

Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN