cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Summit X670V STP disabled by default, it still will send BPDU package?

Extreme Summit X670V STP disabled by default, it still will send BPDU package?

Wallance
New Contributor II
I just wanted to know if it still will send BPDU package when STP not enabled on Extreme Summit switch. From my understanding, it should not send BPDU message when STP not enabled. The background - As in our Production Env, we enabled BPDU guard on cisco Nexus 7K one Trunk port connected to a Summit X670V switch to root guard. However, a mistaken operation on the Summit switch by putting all port to a VLAN cause the Cisco switch received a large of BPDU package then put the port on the err-disabled status.
6 REPLIES 6

PeterK
Contributor II
thanks, this helps a lot.

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
You can block the BPDUs via an ACL on the port, if you want the switch to not forward them. See the following GTAC Knowledge article for details:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-block-BPDU-packets-on-a-port-via-AC...

-Brandon

PeterK
Contributor II
I know, this is old, but what do I need to do, that the switch will not forward BPDUs anymore?

EtherMan-Dupe
New Contributor
You should always adjust Cisco interfaces and their default BPDU protection to either trap only .... disable / enable after xxx time period when you connect from switch to switch... It is a ticking time bomb .....
GTM-P2G8KFN