cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme switch and Sonicwall Firewall

Extreme switch and Sonicwall Firewall

Beth_Dierks
New Contributor
Has anyone converted from Cisco to Extreme that had a Sonicwall Firewall? I am trying to figure out how to configure the port that our Sonicwall is connected to on the Extreme to allow max internet connections speeds. When we had the same Sonicwall connected to our Cisco switch we were getting 85-95Mbps in our Download speeds and now we are only getting 2-3 Mbps speeds. If port is set to auto negotiate, our internet is down. I currently have the port set to Auto off speed 100 duplex full. Anyone have some ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

McClane
Extreme Employee
Just to chime in here... I have a setup with a X450e connected to a Sonic NSA 220 running SonicOS 5.8.1.14-48o. I have the interfaces set to auto negotiate everything; speed and duplex... Both sides sync up at 1000/Full and appear error free and speed tests are acceptable. This same firewall was previously connected to a Cisco that was also set up as auto everything.

Tooley__Akiko
Extreme Employee
Beth,

It was nice talking to you today. Please reference the GTAC article:

http://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-the-port-that-SonicWall-is...

Beth_Dierks
New Contributor
Charlie...thanks for the reply. This is our Main Core switch which is a Stacked switch. The Sonicwall port is setup to 100Mbps duplex half, so I changed Port 1:1 on the stack to 100Mbps duplex half as well, but still a speed test is still only getting 4Mbps for downloads. Any other suggestions? Beth

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Beth,
You should be using full duplex. Does the Sonicwall do 1G connections, or only 100M?

At full duplex at line rate 100 Mbps, the best you can expect to see is 12.5 MB/s. Half duplex effectively cuts that to 6.25 MB/s, minus any protocol overhead. That's probably why you're only able to get to ~4MB/s. 1MB/s = 8Mbps (bits vs. bytes).
GTM-P2G8KFN