Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extreme switch connected to cisco switch and losing packet

extreme switch connected to cisco switch and losing packet

Siva2
New Contributor
Hi All

Can someone help me, I have 2 ExtremeXOS 440 switches version 21.1.1.4 connected to cisco switch 6500.

Problem : when I’ doing continues ping I’m getting packet loss and when one switch responding to my pings another will not respond vice vasa .

This is my configuration on extreme switches

create vlan "internal-man-105"

configure vlan internal-man-105 tag 105

configure vlan internal-man-105 add ports 2:24 tagged

configure vlan internal-man-105 ipaddress 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.248

enable ipforwarding vlan internal-man-105

configure ports 2:24 auto on speed 1000 duplex full

this is my configuration on cisco switch

interface GigabitEthernet3

description Extreme-switch Uplink

switchport

switchport mode trunk

logging event link-status

logging event trunk-status

logging event bundle-status

logging event spanning-tree status

logging event subif-link-status

load-interval 30

keepalive 30

speed 1000

duplex full

udld port aggressive

mls qos trust cos

flowcontrol receive on

flowcontrol send on

spanning-tree portfast edge trunk

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

end
21 REPLIES 21

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
It looks like Siva has deleted most of their responses here. I'm going to mark this one solved and close the thread for further comment to prevent confusion.

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

do you use a fiber connection between the Extreme and Cisco switches? If so, activating UDLD on the Cisco is problematic, because it is a Cisco proprietary feature that does not work with other vendors' switches.

Using Ethernet flow control (active on the Cisco) is not a good idea in general, it might cause intermittent problems, like dropping one ping packet or the other.

The "keepalive 30" setting on the Cisco is dubious as well, as this should enable a Cisco proprietary keepalive mechanism, but the EXOS switch does not send responses.

Since you have configured BPDU Guard on the Cisco, you must not enable STP on the EXOS switch. You can check if BPDU Guard error disabled an interface using "show interfaces err-disable."

Thanks,
Erik

they resolved issue
they had the switches stacking enabled but they did not have any physical connections via the stacking cable to any other node
they used the below command so that the MAC address will get configured automatically.
"configure stacking mac-address"

Karthik_Mohando
Extreme Employee
Hi Siva, If i understood correctly although the switches have stacking enabled they do not have any physical connections via the stacking cable to any other node (switch). If yes then the given command will only change the MAC address.
GTM-P2G8KFN