Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

ExtremeWireless Auto Channel selection

ExtremeWireless Auto Channel selection

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Community

So I have a question for the community and would like to get your comments on the topic.
I have been deploying the solution for years now (From when Enterasys started with the product).

When I do the initial configuration of the controller, I usually configure the AP's default settings to Auto select the Channel for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

With the various code releases "Dynamic Channel Selection" was introduced, some version setting this to Monitor only and other version setting this to Active Mode by default.

The question I have is that at most of the deployments across the years I have seen that the AP's would all place their channels on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the same channel.

I usually end up with statically assigning Channels to avoid the same channel selection.
I understand that I might have outside interference cause all the AP's to try and hog the same channel.... But I have seen other systems deployed in the same space and the channel selection was perfect, every AP on it own unique channel.

What have you experienced on this, lets discuss your experience regarding this matter and your recommendations.

Regards

11 REPLIES 11

Francois_Scheun
New Contributor III
Hi guys

I thought I'd add to this. More a question than a comment. I've noticed something on the current channel which I don't recall seeing before. The current channel displays "auto-site" which seems to be inherited from somewhere. When looking at the assigned channel it is the same as surrounding AP's. Anyone seen this before? Any ideas as to why this is displayed?

Regards,
Francois

46f462803d854be08bf2db42bc5ae7ac_RackMultipart20170208-27360-1l9v7hp-auto-site_inline.jpg

Francois

This is part of the new channel inspector in 10.21, you can kick off background or auto scan from the channel inspector report.

-Gareth

Tony1
New Contributor III
Our experience is the same, new APs mainly select the same channels. Even if they are in the same room, they very often have the same channel. This channel selection will be retained as long as DCS is in Monitor mode or in active mode with high tresholds.

GTM-P2G8KFN