cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing Challange on Configuring LACP ???

Facing Challange on Configuring LACP ???

Boopaa
New Contributor
Am facing difficulties while configuring LACP on Summit X450 :-
Command which I used in SW :

enable sharing 1 grouping 1-4 algorithm address-based L2 lacp

My question is , Is that mandatory to configure LACP on my Dell Server ? (If yes, How ? )

After entering the lacp commands, i am getting request timeout on my continuous ping( to server).....
Kindly help me out in this as early as possible !!!!!!
15 REPLIES 15

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Boopathy, first thing here is to check which Link Aggregation type (Static or LACP/802.3ad) is supported by your Dell Server / NIC model:
  • If that supports only Static, then you should use EXOS command without "lacp" word.
  • If that supports only LACP/802.3ad, then you should use EXOS command "lacp".
  • if that supports both, I would recommend to try LACP first, then static.
Another important point is related to the # of ports with sharing enabled. Based on the diagram you have 8 ports for X450 and 8 ports (4 active + 4 passive) for Dell Storage. I'm not sure how those active/passive ports work on Dell Server but I would check the following:
  • If those 8 EXOS ports and 8 Dell Storage Server ports (even being active/passive) belong to the same VLAN/LAG, then those 8 ports should be included in the same LAG:
For EXOS: enable sharing 1 grouping 1-8 algorithm address-based L2 lacp

For Dell Storage Server: Please check any information like Sharing Group, LAG, LACP, 802.3ad and so on and create the group accordingly.

After configuring the sharing on both EXOS and Server you can use the command show ports sharing and check if there is an "Y" in the "Agg Mbr" column to check if the sharing for that particular port is working.

If possible, as already requested by Darren, please share the Dell Storage Server / NIC model you have in that solution.

Thanks Henrique, Its really helps me..!!!

Darren_Saliva
New Contributor
Boopathy, It might be helpful to know what type of Dell Storage you have.

Mike_D
Extreme Employee

Hello Boopathy,

Link aggregation is fairly mature technology. Most any server/storage station have aggregation capabilities of some sort - either static or protocol driven - setup for interop can be a little tricky but most of the function is recognizable even in a product you haven't seen before.
Making this go should not be as difficult as it seems in your case.
Maybe there's something else at work.

(making a few assumptions - then tossing in speculation...) If the 4 active links on your server each have independent IP addresses, aggregating the links doesn't seem to me to be a fit.
It may be that this design doesn't lend itself to link aggregation without more planning.

GTM-P2G8KFN