cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Stack Summit X450a48t

Failed Stack Summit X450a48t

Cheyne
New Contributor

We are running a stack with 2 Summit X450a-48t switches. This morning the master switch (slot 1)died and the secondary (slot 2) took over the master role.

I found the article posted on here: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082599

I have a replacement switch and verified the XOS image and license are the same.

The question I have that the article doesn't address is: Do I need to do anything different since I replacing the previous master (slot 1)? Does the former secondary switch (slot 2) remain the master after I add the new switch or does the new switch assume the master role since it will be slot 1? Also, will there be any service interruption during this? This stack has our SAN off of it and we'd hate for it to drop for any length of time.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide to assist.

Thanks you,

Cheyne

1 REPLY 1

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Cheyne,

After following the directions present in the article you will not need to do anything else. Slot 2 can remain the master and slot 1 will just become the backup after it synchronizes. Replacing a node will not cause any downtime in relation to the rest of the stack. Slot 1 is simply connected and if slot 2 sees the switch under the "show stacking" command you can run all the commands in the article under the new master, even reboot.

Hope this helps!
GTM-P2G8KFN