cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

General question about throughput and ping ms.

General question about throughput and ping ms.

Eric_Ashton
New Contributor II
What is the normal throughput for 2.4ghz with Extreme APs and with 5 ghz? We have users complaining of slow wifi speeds and computers on the wifi are substantially slower than wired users. Currently we are getting 35-40 mbps with iperf test when on 2.4ghz. For some reason this test could drop down to 10 on certain tests. While on 5ghz we are right around 70mbps.

Are these normal numbers?
Also while pinging from a wired PC to a Wireless device we will get alot of high ms pings then it will level out and then spike again. Is this normal behavior?

16 REPLIES 16

Laura
New Contributor III
How do i setup an iperf test? Will this measure the speed between an ipad and an access points?

iperf server receives traffic from the client (that is the direction of the traffic.) So you are correct, on each device you see its perspective (which may vary especially with traffic type set to UDP.)

Laura
New Contributor III
Ronald,
THanks for all the help. I was able to set this is and got it working. I'm just confused about the output. You have the AP setup as the server. The 'Bandwidth' column on the screenshot from the AP is showing the speed in Mbps the AP is getting from the client device? Am I reading the output correctly? And then, the Bandwidth column on the client device is how much the client is sending to the AP?

Laura
New Contributor III
I can't run iperf on a 3605 Enterasys AP? it has to be a 3900?
GTM-P2G8KFN