cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Mac Addresses for Individual Nodes in a Stack - Python Script

Getting Mac Addresses for Individual Nodes in a Stack - Python Script

Carter_Haid
New Contributor
Working on a python script to automate the commands I use to program some switches. I am trying to come up with a way to determine the MAC addresses of the switches in the stack and input those values into the following commands. - configure stacking node-address aa??cc:dd:ee:ff slot-number <1 - 8>

- configure stacking node-address aa??cc:dd:ee:ff priority <1 - 100>

- configure stacking node-address aa??cc:dd:ee:ff master-capability on

The problems that I am running into specifically are that I need to get and store 3 different MAC addresses (I have 3 switches in this particular stack) and I am not entirely sure how to do that. Also I would be running each of the above commands 3x (once for each switch in the stack.)

Thank you for any help you can give!

6 REPLIES 6

Robert_Cummins
New Contributor
Is there a reason a python array won't work?

If running EXOS 21.1+, jsonrpc can help. If having XMC 8.0.4+, you can run the script from there.
I don't understand what is your issue. list, dictionary, variables... all of that is supported.

How do you currently get them? If you expect to read them from each member via the cli then you need to look at how python handles IO from a remote session; there should be some baked-in libraries/methods that handle all of the calls for you and you simply need to parse the returns. Another option would be to use an expect script wrapped by python.

So I like that idea for the holding of the Mac addresses but I'm still not sure of a way to get the individual MAC's from each switch.
GTM-P2G8KFN