cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody ever installed Summit Switches in external cabinets that have no cooling only convection cooling through the cabinet itself

Has anybody ever installed Summit Switches in external cabinets that have no cooling only convection cooling through the cabinet itself

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
Extreme hardware being placed in external road side cabinet . ( provide network & poe+ to external AP 3865 )

The cabinets exist , so I cannot change or modify. heat exchange will be by convection to out side. ( no grill or air con)

South UK based , so unlikly to have major weather events ( cold hot )

I look forward to your comments.
12 REPLIES 12

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
X430 8 port , needs to be poe+ supporting AP3865

It's a pity there's no AP3867 in the style of the AP3767 which has 2x SFP ports. My other thought was the D2 switch, which is rated up to 50ºC for the POE version, but of course that's 802.3af only, no 802.3at support.

Many thanks for the comment , silica gel might be a help.. Part of my problem is that this is a university , the cabinets exist and have been paid for by a different project , we are being asked to use what we have , I could put a cheap converter Fibre- CAt 5 POE the issue , would be that those units are not manageable ... and then support etc .... We basically need to do a test over christmas and see how it pans out ..there is already a DC supply in the cabinet , maybe I could look at using that ... thanks again Rod

We have everything from 670 G2 and down in outside cabinets and we are in Houston TX. Cabinets have a/c. We put a D/C power plant in cabinet (less heat more backup) to get 12 plus hours of battery backup. This is not a cheap solution but with lack of a hardened product there is not other option using Extreme.

We have done labs with summit switches not the 430/440 line to see how they would fair. Simple outside box hung outside on concrete wall in the sun with just a set of small fans to keep air flowing... Overheat warnings yes max temp reached was around 51 C .. lasted 2 years and humidity was the final switch killer...

We do have a bunch of 430/440 in riser rooms in buildings with no 24x7 A/C... The get up to around 49 C every night during the summer when the building goes into power save mode... As you know they start complaining when they hit 45 so we have alarms suppressed and in over a year and half we have not had any fail due to overheating.

Key for you also I think is going to be controlling the condensation in your box rather the heat... We do alot lot of cell towers and have to use hardened gear for that service. I feel your pain... Not much revenue and yet the cost of the outdoor certified gear is just crazy...
GTM-P2G8KFN