Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

High Density WiFi Design

High Density WiFi Design

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Guys

So I thought that I would get the communities comment on a specific High Density wireless design.
Could make for a interesting discussion.

We have a a open room, 100 meters by 50 meters.
The room is used for students to bring your own device and then write exams.
We should cater for 1000 students.
With the various tests we have done we see 70% 2.4Ghz devices and 30% 5Ghz.

What would your designs look like for something like this?

5a887760c6b84600b6e5063bd60f31b6_RackMultipart20160801-8817-140csns-Gerga_inline.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

Pascal_Lurquin
New Contributor II
Hi,

we are using the 4 channels plan for 2.4GHz ... it works great

Use the new AP with spatial streams and MU-MIMO ...

Pascal

FES
New Contributor III
Hi, I can read that if you only have 802.11gn the modulation used is OFDM. In that modulation the witdth channel is 20Mhz, and with this scenario you could use the 4 channel plan with out channel interferences, isnt it?
Also in this scenario we could disable protection modes on radio2, Is this correct?

I have testing this values in order to prove that the 4 channel plan works...

A 4 channel plan could create adjacent channel interference decreasing overall throughput. 802.11ac wave 2 access points are a great idea. With a growing number of clients supporting MU-MIMO spatial streams could be used more effectively.

hsachse
New Contributor III
Hello Andre, this is really challenging from RF perspective. If 70% of your devices only can use the 2,4 GHz frequency band CCC/CCI (Co Channel Contention/Co Channel Interference) could limit clients throughput. From RF perspective you better should use access points with external patch antennas creating smaller coverage area/cell sizes per access point. Using 20 MHz channels in 5 GHz, too is recommended practice in high density deployments.

To calculate the ap count you could use Andy van Nagy's capacity planner:

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/capacity-planner/

Best Regards
Hartmut

GTM-P2G8KFN