How can I unconfigure the 802.11b protocol at all my 4610 APs? The AP are controlled by a WM3700.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
We have to apply some changes at the wireless infrastructure, one of them is disable or unconfigure the 802.11b protocol, but I was looking for some method to apply it for all the APs at once. I only know how to do that but one by one AP
Photo of Josimar Rivera

Josimar Rivera

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused.

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sean Hogston

Sean Hogston, Extreme Alumnus

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You can change it at the AP profile level instead of the AP itself. This way it will get applied to all APs that use that profile.

Sean
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 982 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
why do you want to unconfigure 802.11b?
Photo of Laura

Laura

that makes sense, thank you for the explanation,
i have another question you might be able to help with,
We have enterasys 3605 APs in our schools. Radio 1 is on a/n mode on the 5 GHz band and Radio 2 is on g/n mode on 2.4 GHz.
I read somewhere that g is backwards compatible with b, so does that mean the performance drops to 11Mbps if a b device connects to g?

Photo of Sean Hogston

its only backwards compatible if you have b turned on. If you have it set to g/n instead of b/g/n then the b client should not be able to connect.
You will want to test this to verify though.
Photo of Laura

Laura

when i look at the clients that are attached to the AP, it says they are using b/g.
does transmit power have anything to do with performance? Both radios are set to "Max Tx Power" at 24 dBm.  radio 2 current Tx power is always higher than radio 1 Tx power.
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 48,884 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
"..... so does that mean the performance drops to 11Mbps if a b device connects to g?"

Please keep in mind that even if you configure g/n only that the min. basic rate of 802.11g is 6mb.
So even with g/n only a client at the border of the WLAN cell could connect with "only" 6mb.

Make sure to enable Flexible Client Access...
>VNS > Global > Wireless QoS -> Flexible Client Access AND also on the WLAN Service in the QoS section
...so every client get's the same time to tx data = slower clients will not affect faster clients.

Another thing is to reduce the number of SSID to a minimum as all the beacon/mgmt frames are tx with min basic rate and that could result in a BIG overhead = wasted airtime = wasted bandwidth.

* i.e. AP with 6 SSID..
min basic rate 1mb = 26% utilization
min basic rate 2mb = 13% utilization
min basic rate 6mb = 4.3% utilization
...if you tx only 3 SSIDs you'd reduce also the overhead by 50%
*from a Extreme presentation
Photo of Laura

Laura

We have the flexible client access enabled, and have 3 ssid's
Photo of Sean Hogston

it is the smart thing to do if you want the best performance from your WLAN
Photo of Josimar Rivera

Josimar Rivera

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, I had not realized where I can apply the change.