cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

how many vrrp X770 support

how many vrrp X770 support

aaron9
New Contributor
I've created 7 vrid for 7 vlans and failed to create the 8th vrid for the 8th vlan.
it showed:Error: Max number of virtual MACs reached, cannot use vrid 8 to create another.
Does the X770 just support 7 vrrp?

the configuration of vrrp like this in my switch:
create vrrp vlan vlan4005 vrid 6
create vrrp vlan vlan4010 vrid 2
create vrrp vlan vlan4012 vrid 3
create vrrp vlan VTEP vrid 1
create vrrp vlan vlan4014 vrid 4
create vrrp vlan vlan4000 vrid 5
create vrrp vlan vlan3900 vrid 7

the version of X770 is 16.1.3.6

8 REPLIES 8

aaron9
New Contributor
hi,thank you for all. i've known more about the vrid by your suggestion. i'll try in my switch.

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
Have a look at 22.2 RN, you'll see there have been a lot of improvements for the number of VRRP instances and VRID. Still, you can have several VLANs sharing the same VRID.

Stefano_Dall_Os
New Contributor III
Hi,
I think the MAX number of vrrps is around 256 ... I think in certain cases you can increase it ...
anyway, always remember that the MAX number of VRIDs is 7 ...
that means you can only have 7 different virtual mac-addresses to handle the vrrp stuff ...
but you can have multiple VRRP in different vlans using the same VRID ...
I normally use just 1 VRID for everything ...
sometimes I like to use 2 VRIDs because I like to "split" the mastership between the 2 main routers, and use 2 different VRIDs to better "identify" who is the master ... for example ROUTER 1 is the master for VRID 1, and router 2 is the master for VRID 2 ...
or you can divide following your "own" idea ...

but again ... you can use the same VRID for all vlans you have ...

cheers

Stefano

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
The VRRP is per vlan. So The reason for more VRIDs is if you need more routers on the same vlan. In your case you can use the same VRID on each vlan.
Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN