cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many WM3600 wifi controllers can i cluster

How many WM3600 wifi controllers can i cluster

Sai_Prasad_Rao_
New Contributor III
How many WM3600 wifi controllers can i cluster ?

How many AP's can register on WM600

What all bundle do we get the licenses : Increments of 16 ?
4 REPLIES 4

aholden
Extreme Employee
Later versions of the WING firmware do support more that 2 Controllers in a Cluster, but 2 is the recommended number with one as ACTIVE and the other as STANDBY.

In most cases the only reason to cluster additional Controller is because the licenses are spread across multiple Controllers.

Ondrej_Lepa
Extreme Employee
HI Sai,
  • Cluster capability is driven by WiNG version used. Running code below 5.2 allows only two cluster members in active / standby mode. Running code above 5.6 allows use of up to 6 members, when only one can be active, rest is standby.
  • Number of adopted APs is given by single cluster member. In case of failover the next member has to be able to handle all APs. For WM3600 it is 256 managed devices using locally bridged mode or 48 using tunneled mode.
  • Smallest increment of licenses is 16 indeed. See a GTAC article under following link
Regards,
Ondrej

Hi Sai Prasad,

general rule of thumb is always use active / standby setup. Certain services like Captive Portal etc. relies on a single adopter etc.

I am just looking into older release notes and here is the statement:
"Only two (2) controllers in a cluster are supported in WiNG 5.2 and higher, the same as in WiNG v5.1.x. Cluster creation changed in WiNG v5.2 as compared to WiNG v5.1.x."Please disregard my previous sentence:
"Running code below 5.2 allows only two cluster members in active / standby mode."Only after version 5.6 system allows to use up to 6 members for RFS platforms

fa19d32f1b464e7dbd5aca7ab5a45cdc_RackMultipart20170426-96853-gzneyg-cluster_inline.png

EDIT: For clarity I wrote following article

Regards,
Ondrej

Thanks Lepa

what about 5.4 vesion ? How many 3600 i can cluster , can i do active/active or active and rest standby ?

Thanks
SaiPrasad
GTM-P2G8KFN