Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how the log has been record into MSM

how the log has been record into MSM

println
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,
My situation: The master and backup MSM are in sync in BD8000, but the 152 log message in master MSM, 92 log message in backup MSM. I clear all log from both MSM before this test. Another question is which type of log message will be record in "show log message NVRAM"? Is there any document include this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Li,

I have some comments based on the outputs provided and some information I have:
  • When you reboot the switch, the nvram log buffer is not cleared
  • When you reboot the switch, the log memory buffer is cleared
  • NVRAM log buffer only stores high level alarms like "Critical", "Warning" and "Error"
  • Log memory buffer stores all other messages
  • NVRAM log buffer is shared between Master and Backup MSMs since it stores high level alarms
  • Log memory buffer is populated only on active/master MSM
Hope it helps.

println
New Contributor III
anyone could help on this?

Kevin_Kim
Extreme Employee
By default, the log messages that belong to 'critical', 'error', 'warning' severity levels are stored in NVRAM as shown in the output of 'show log config target nvram'.

# sh log configuration target nvram
Log Target : nvram
Enabled : yes
Filter Name : DefaultFilter
Match regex : Any
Severity : Warning (through Critical)
Format : MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS.hh

println
New Contributor III
Hi Stephen,
What I test is clear log and clear log message nvram from both MSMs, and then reboot the switch and compare the "show log" from MSM A and MSM B.
below log message is only showing in Master MSM only.
MSM-A: Add port X:X to aggregator
MSM-A: Media XFP_SR is inserted into Port x:x
MSM-A: Changing the state of neighbor rtid X.X.X.X ipa X.X.X.X to state = FULL due to Loading done.

show log message nvram from both MSMs is same, it showing as below:
08/24/2016 07:09:47.81 MSM-A: Error while loading "ospfInterface": ERROR: 0.0.0.0 is not a valid configured neighbor for interface vlan600 ipaddress x.x.x.x

08/24/2016 07:09:47.79 MSM-A: Error while loading "ospfInterface": ERROR: 0.0.0.0 is not a valid configured neighbor for interface vlan300 ipaddress x.x.x.x

08/24/2016 07:09:47.78 MSM-A: Error while loading "ospfInterface": ERROR: 0.0.0.0 is not a valid configured neighbor for interface vlan200 ipaddress x.x.x.x

08/24/2016 07:09:47.76 MSM-A: Error while loading "ospfInterface": ERROR: 0.0.0.0 is not a valid configured neighbor for interface vlan100 ipaddress x.x.x.x

08/24/2016 07:09:43.91 MSM-A: Error while loading "cfgTechSupport": Source IP address x.x.x.x does not belong to the VR VR-Mgmt.
08/24/2016 07:08:15.08 MSM-A: Shutting down all processes
08/24/2016 07:08:14.79 MSM-A: Rebooting with reason User requested switch reboot
08/24/2016 07:08:14.68 MSM-B: Rebooting with reason User requested switch reboot

So,it make me confuse, which kind of log will be recording to Master, which kind of log will be recording to backup, which kind of log will be recording to NVRAM? Is there any document introduce the log principle? My customer network has some isue sometimes, do I need to ask the backup MSM log message from customer if there isn't a MSM failover?
GTM-P2G8KFN