How to bind a Custom FlexView in to Oneview Device View

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
Hi,
I created my custom FlexView, now I would like to apply this flexview to a specific device,
so I can see the information about these flex on the Device View of the OneView.
How I can set up this binding?

Thanks
Roberto
Photo of Roberto F.

Roberto F.

• 690 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas, Employee - GTAC - NMS

• 7,590 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Roberto. I was able to add in a custom flexview by taking what I have previously made and dropping it into the  NetSight\appdata\System\FlexViews\My FlexViews folder on my server.
Then I stopped and started the server again and it shows up.
Photo of M.Nees

M.Nees, Embassador

• 9,262 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike,

can you share this use FlexView ??? I need the same View for several sceanrios.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Matthias
Photo of Mike Thomas

Matthias, I sent it to you via email as a zip file. In the past, these .tpl files even zipped are not liked by email filters. So hopefully it gets there for you. Some of the MIBs are likely not valuable across several platforms FYI. So it stands as it is. Of course you can add or subtract information as you see fit as well and make your own. I have used in the past for preliminary network health checks (at L1-L2 layer of course).
(Edited)
Photo of Roberto F.

Roberto F.

Hi Thomas,

how you have linked the flexview to the switch L1-L2-10.58.1.24?
With an oid snmp that match the device type or with some name?
And where you have wroten them?
Can you share an exmple?

Thanks
Roberto
Photo of Mike Thomas

Hi Roberto, are you asking about how viewed my Flexview as you see it, or about my custom fleview itself? Can you clarify? I think your asking about the flexview itself.
Photo of Roberto F.

Roberto F.

I need to create a FlexView for a specific device type (1 flex view for Motorola NX Wireless Controller and 1 flex view for MOXA Industrial Switches) and let to view the info of the respective flexview when I click on the Device View of the OneView.
I have tried but something goes wrong.

So If you have a guide step by steb or how-to is the best, or if you provide me your example I can try to catch where I'm wrong ...

Thanks
Roberto
Photo of Mike Thomas

The most comprehensive guidance for creation and modification of Flexviews is in the help guide. It makes the assumption your using it from Netsight Console, but if made there and ported over for use in Oneview, no problem.
1. So from the http://<IPaddressofNetsightServer&...
2. select help in right hand corner then hit 'search all topics' in lower left of help window
3. Type in flexview
4. Select How to Create and Modify Flexviews

If you get stuck there - Please open a case with the GTAC.
Photo of Roberto F.

Roberto F.

I have followed step by step the guide, as suggested, and now I'm in the following conditions,
On the consolle I can see the result of my FlexView ...

But on the One-View for the same device and the same Flex View the result was different ..

I don't understand what's wrong ...
Photo of Shunze Lee

Shunze Lee

• 732 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue as you...
Photo of David Coglianese

David Coglianese, Embassador

• 6,214 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Assuming you are using 3rd party mibs that you had to import I believe I solved this last night. I have a case open with tech and am waiting to hear their response but my custom flexview is now working in OneView.

I knew that refreshing the Flexview in OneView was not generating traps by doing a tcpdump on the NetSight server which is OneView operates from. It is important to note that this behavior is different than that of Console which runs from and uses the mib file stored on your pc.

Apparently the problem is the OneView is not looking in the MyMib folder and is therefore unaware that it has access to the mibs the custom flexview is referencing. To make it work I placed the mib file in the base mib folder and now all is well. I am attaching screen shots of both file paths for clarity.

This is where I understood mibs should be imported too so that they don't get overwritten by future updates. This folder also seems to sync with the folder on your pc that Console looks in.

This is where I had to put the mib to make my Flexview work in OneView

Photo of Shunze Lee

Shunze Lee

• 732 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
After copy the 3rd.mib to upper mibs folder, and restart the NetSight service, it works!

Thanks~
Photo of David Coglianese

David Coglianese, Embassador

• 6,214 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I am experiencing a similar issue. My custom flex few columns display but the data fields do not populate.

Does OneView require the mibs to be in a different folder than Console does?
Photo of Mike Thomas

This may take some modification of MyDeviceFamilyMenu.xml file to work properly with third party gear. 
I would open a ticket with the GTAC and we can look if there is a way to solve this problem.
Photo of Pala, Zdenek

Pala, Zdenek, Employee

• 9,078 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi.

I just found this conversation. If you want to bind FlexView with DeviceView, you can get inspiration here: https://github.com/extremenetworks/Netsight-Report-Views/blob/master/DeviceView/README.md

You can have more FlexViews in the same DeviceView also...