Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI

How to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI

Adam15
New Contributor
Hello,
I'm looking for a basic guide on how to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI. I need 3 SSIDs with WPA2 authentication assigned to separate VLANs. I can't find any simple guide on how to do this, the CLI reference guide doesn't help me at all, there is too much information on hundreds of pages.

So far I've created a virtual controller with static IP.

Please help!
13 REPLIES 13

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Okay....so whichever AP you ran that mint neighbor query on is seeing those other 2 APs on VLAN-42 (used for the MiNT level-1 links to talk to each other). That's what you want to see (as long as VLAN-42 is your mgmt VLAN). I thought your mgmt VLAN was VLAN-43 though?

As for the default gateway config, what version of WiNG is this? Wondering if maybe an older version of WiNG maybe had a different syntax than it does not for this setting. Newest versions of WiNG, the syntax should be ip default-gateway x.x.x.x (just FYI)

In any case, if VLAN-42 *is* your mgmt VLAN, then it sounds like you're good to go...maybe just want to define the static IP address on all the APs now for VLAN-42 - not mandatory though.
In case you weren't away, even if an AP doesn't have an IP address but you can *see* the AP from another WiNG device via MiNT...you can connect to it via MiNT...instead of SSH.
From a WiNG device, enter:
# connect mint-id (must run this NOT in config mode)

you can see the mint-id of the other device by running the show mint neighbors command. It will look something like this: 4D.82.03.E0

When you connect, it will look EXACTLY like you're just SSH'ing into the AP.

Adam15
New Contributor
I don't know how and why but when I left them for a few hours I'm finally able to see both of them:

(apxx-xx) at level 1, best adjacency vlan-42
(apxx-xx) at level 1, best adjacency vlan-42

Furthermore, I can connect with them, login and make changes!!!

It's a miracle!

The part with default gateway worked for me this way:

#ip default 10.104.14.65

Anyway, the problem is finally solved! I wonder why when I do "commit write" it doesn't save some settings like hostname. There is also a command "write memory", maybe this one will work better?

Thank you Chris, for your commitment to helping me, you deserve a truck full of beer for it

ckelly
Extreme Employee
With this AP, you set to 10.104.14.80, you then tried to enter the default gateway...which it didn't take:
ap02(config-device-xx-78)#ip default gateway 10.104.14.65
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

When you see that sort of output, it means it didn't like the command and it wasn't taken.

I'm not sure why it acted this way. From the response, it didn't seem to like that you tried to enter "default" after "ip". This should be completely valid. In any case, you entered the new static IP address for VLAN-43, but the new default gateway wasn't taken. Now the AP is trying to use whatever default gateway was already configured. I think that's the issue with being able to communicate with that AP. Your traffic is likely making it *to* the AP, but when the AP responds, its traffic is going to the wrong place and not making it back to you. (AP is sending responses to the wrong default gateway)

Then I see where VLAN-1 no longer is configured to receive DHCP. So now VLAN-1 is not usable.
I think what broke here is the default gateway setting when configuring VLAN-43. Looking back now...you should have stopped at that point and not committed the changes...but 20/20 hind-site, right?
Here's a quick handy tip: Whenever you are making changes like this and want to leave yourself a 'fail-safe', only issue the 'commit'...and not the full 'commit write'.
the 'commit' only saves changes to the running config
The 'commit write' save to running config *and* the startup config.

If you only save to the running config and things blow up, you can just power cycle the AP and when it reboots, it will load the config from the *startup config* settings...and that at least gets you back to square one.

Okay....the more I look at this, it would probably be easier to just see what the current running config looks like in its entirety. This way, I could see exactly what's going on and what needs to be changed.
If you cannot SSH into AP2 and cannot see it via MiNT, then there's no way to access it remotely. You're only means of fixing the config is going to be a local visit. Sorry.
Try to grab a copy of the running config and edit out any sections you don't want to show and post that.
We can come up with a very specific plan then for what needs to be changed to get this all working.

Adam15
New Contributor
Ok, one last question.

I try to access the one which I cannot connect by changing native vlan to 43 on another one, connect via mint and reverse native vlan change to enable connection.

So, I did:

ap02(config-device-xx-78)#interface vlan 43
ap02(config-device-xx-78-if-vlan43)#ip address 10.104.14.80/26
ap02(config-device-xx-78-if-vlan43)#..
ap02(config-device-xx-78)#ip default gateway 10.104.14.65
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ap02(config-device-xx-78)#commit write

And lost connection because interfaces 1 and 43 overlaped.

I connected with ap02 via mint and changed tagged vlan:

interface ge1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 43
switchport trunk native tagged
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,42-44,163

I tried to change vlan1 IP address, or to delete it, with no luck:

% Error: Commit failed for the following reason:

[device 'xx-78'][interface 'vlan1'] ap02: Interface vlan1:1.1.1.1/0 and interface vlan43:10.104.14.80/26 overlap

And I did a final, fatal mistake:

ap02(config-device-xx-78-if-vlan1)#ip address ?

A.B.C.D/M IP address (e.g. 10.0.0.1/8)
NETWORK-ALIAS Network Alias
dhcp Use DHCP Client to obtain IP address for this interface
zeroconf Use zeroconf to generate an IP address for this interface

ap02(config-device-xx-78-if-vlan1)#ip address zeroconf
ap02(config-device-xx-78-if-vlan1)#show context
interface vlan1
ip address zeroconf
ap02(config-device-xx-78-if-vlan1)#commit write
Connection closed by foreign host

Now it doesn't even appear when I use command show mint neighbors. Any chance to solve this without console cable? It appears on my router with ip 10.104.14.80 but I can't ping it.

Priority for me is to get back network traffic with those two, so I need to safely set management vlan to 43, connect and change back native vlan to 1 on both.

Getting back connection with ap02 would be harder šŸ˜ž

GTM-P2G8KFN