cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find when a port was last used

How to find when a port was last used

Micheal_Beeler
New Contributor
Campus switch see lots of changes and need to find a way to show ports that have not been used in a set period of time.
12 REPLIES 12

Robert_Heydenbl
New Contributor II

Hi,

I know, this is an old thread, but I have to count a lot of active ports right now, because old B5 Switchs need to be replaced soon! I found the Port Status VLAN Flex-View very useful for this purpose. Especially with the XMCs capability to export the flex view to a csv and some Excel-filtering, its fairly easy to get this information!

Just wanted to share,

Robert

EtherMAN
Contributor III
If you have a syslog server you could also query via a filter to switch ip switch port and get all the port for up down entries within your date range. Depending on how many ports are inactive as how many times you would need to repeat the query changing the port filter.

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
I spoke to someone who indicated this was a good report to determine unused ports as long as capacity planning was part of the archive process.

I need to verify that it is an accurate report and understand how a singe device can have too different dates in the date field.

According to "Help" Date = The date and time of the data sample used to generate the port information.

b60f92e73dc04ff387a6708d8823bd00_RackMultipart20160427-6976-16h3m8r-Capture_inline.jpg

Thanks,

Christoph
Contributor
It's not what you are really looking for, however an indirectly possibility would be to compare Link Status and "Bytes Transferred" in Capacity Planing Report. If zero bytes were transmitted on a port, probably this one was never up since the switch is running.

2c3ccf48b3174fe9b5397001b5e2ccec_RackMultipart20151208-13753-sh3ym8-Capacity_Planing_Report_inline.png

GTM-P2G8KFN