cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to gain access to CLI on Summit x440-8p, and update firmware (Mac OSx)

How to gain access to CLI on Summit x440-8p, and update firmware (Mac OSx)

Sean_Devonport
New Contributor

Hello

I'm very new to the Extreme world of switches. I am using the Summit x440-8p switch and am having trouble finding documentation for it in the support portal.

I want to update the switch's firmware, as well as enable AVB packet mirroring. So far I have been unable to connect to the switch CLI via the console port when using telnet. However, I am able to send AVB traffic via the switch.

Things to know - The switch was updated with new firmware a few years ago by someone else in our department who is no longer here. They've left a note on the switch that says "Default IP 192.168.1.1 and an MGMT port IP 192.168.1.10. Primary partition: Default XOS and Secondary partition is AVB enabled XOS." I have been unable to access the switch via these IPs.

I'm using a Mac OSx Sierra to try handle the updating process.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have followed numerous links, particularly
https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000084622

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/updating-upgrading-firmware-on-extreme-switch

http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/documentation/

5 REPLIES 5

Sean_Devonport
New Contributor
Thank you so much for the help!

Have managed to access the router's management port - all it took was manually setting my mac IP address to the switch's subnet. Easy fix!

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II

Hello Sean,

to connect to the console port you would need an Ethernet cable, an adapter from RJ45 to DB9 (this is included with every switch, a purple adapter), and an USB to serial converter for the Mac. You then need to start a terminal program that supports the serial port on the Mac. The serial seetings are 9600 bits/second, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit (usually you just need to set the speed to 9600). I do not have a Mac myself, so I cannot give more specific instructions.

Please see the GTAC Knowledge articles How to connect to the EXOS-based switch console via RJ-45 and How to console into Extreme Networks switches for additional information.

You could try to connect to the management Ethernet port using just an Ethernet cable that you connect to both the switch and the Mac. You may need to use a USB network adapter if your Mac does not have an Ethernet port. You need to manually configure an IP address for the Mac on the Ethernet adapter connected to the switches management Ethernet port in the same subnet as the Switch. Then you can try the telnet or ssh programs to connect to the switch, using the username admin. You should check basic IP connectivity using ping 192.168.1.10 first. For more info on the switch's management port see e.g. How to configure an IP address on the management interface of an EXOS switch

Thanks,
Erik

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
I'm not an Apple guy. I have a USB to serial adapter for my laptop. If you don't have the adapter you can try telnet over the management port but it sounds like there are questions about the configuration. Don't forget to set your IP on the same subnet as the port you connect to. Let us know how it goes.

Sean_Devonport
New Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply!

Would I need to use a serial to ethernet adapter to connect to the console port? I'm unsure as to where the serial adapter would plug in on the Mac
GTM-P2G8KFN