cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase syslog size in Netsight?

How to increase syslog size in Netsight?

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody!

I have Netsight 6.3, 12 Extreme switches and 10 CISCOs. Extremes are configured to send logs to Netsight. Everything works fine, but it seems like the log is shrinked automatically, because it I can see events for about last 8 hours.

Could I configure how long syslog data in Netsight is stored?

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya
8 REPLIES 8

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
NetSight Linux syslog log rotation is controlled by the "logrotate" utility on the box. By default the /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog is set to rotate daily.

If you want to modify this file you can set it to "weekly" "yearly" or you can set a specified size that is used to determine when the log is rotated with the "size" command.

The /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog file does not look to be rewritten on upgrade of the software, so the modifications should be permanent.

For more information on options for the logrotate utility:
http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/logrotate8.html

This is a linux server correct?

Thanks
-Ryan

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Ilya,

did that solve your issue - because if I unterstand it correctly that would only increase the max file size but still the log would get rotated every 24hours = you'd only see Syslog messages of the current day in the console/EMC view.

-Ron

Hi Ron,

do you open the GTAC case - after one month you should get a solution ...

Regards

I'd open a ticket - someone in the NMS group should know which file includes the configuration to set the log rotate to a value > 1 day.
GTM-P2G8KFN