cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep APs registered to the primary controller

How to keep APs registered to the primary controller

Scott_Van_Arts1
New Contributor II
We have a couple of C2510's running as availability peers. Periodically throughout the day the APs will "roam" over to the availability peer. I've got "Current Wireless Controller is primary connection point" selected on the controller that I'd like to be primary. However, the APs will still fail over to the secondary. I have to periodically get onto the secondary and release all APs. Is there a way to force all APs to remain registered with the primary controller?
9 REPLIES 9

Scott_Van_Arts1
New Contributor II
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So our controller's fast failover was set to 2 seconds and the AP polling timeout was set to 4 seconds. That seems pretty low so I'm going to bump them up to Bruce's recommendations and see what happens.

To be clear ... in a very highly performing network ... with no Spanning Tree issues, and/or multicast or broadcast congestion ... that has been well designed with proper VLAN containment and switches that are not over-subscribed etc ... 2 seconds for FF and 4 for AP Polling Timeout can absolutely work. But in our experience, 20 seconds for FF and 30 seconds for AP Polling Timeout are values that work more consistently across a variety of customer networks ... and allow for some "slack" in all the things mentioned previously.

Let us know if 20/30 works better for you Scott!

Rey_Juan_Carlos
Contributor
Hi Scott, we have similar scenario, a couple of C5210's running as availability peers. We don't understand why the APs roamed to a second controller, roaming again to the first controller as soon as possible. And we have to do it manually later.

Thanks a lot.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
or just disable fast failover...
GTM-P2G8KFN