cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prioritize the traffic of one Vlan over the other, assigned to the same pair of ports.

How to prioritize the traffic of one Vlan over the other, assigned to the same pair of ports.

Danial_Jalil
New Contributor
If there are two ports X and Y in which 2 Vlans are assinged. Port X is 10 G and port Y is 1 G. How to prioritize the traffic of VLAN A over VLAN B.
12 REPLIES 12

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Good to know this was an exercise and not reality Danial... I think you understand now... I am a big believer in having QOS as the last resort and trying to always over engineer the network where there is no congestion or the need for QOS. We have very little QOS running in our services even with a very large over subscription model. We just stay ahead on ten gig and now 100 gig core interfaces.

One other thing I would like to add I have also always felt QP8 should only be used for your internal control and management services and you should never allow customer traffic be configured to use that que. Keeps your EAPS rings happier.

Danial_Jalil
New Contributor
Thanks for the insight., i was just testing it. Anyway guys I think i have found the solution of my problem let me share it for others as well.. if the traffic is tagged with priority on VLAN A then it will automatically be prioritized over the traffic of VLAN B. So flow control should be enabled on the frames that are being received on any ports. the frames should have the information so that the switch/VLAN recongnizes what to do with it.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Just curious as to what your percentages are in your QOS settings when you set up QP8 and QP1... Cant run them both at 100% max bandwidth.

Also the bigger problem you will always have is the switch where the one gig and ten gig are shared. Very hard to deal with such a huge over subscription like you have said. You would have to set you QOS up so that neither one could ever use greater than the one gig. Not sure why you would even consider a 5.7 gig to one gig as a good network design... Sorry to be so blunt but you really need to have all at ten gigs or separate the traffic on two different on gig ports. I would hate to be a user on the one that you are trying to push 5 gigs down a one gig pipe ....

Thanks EtherMan
GTM-P2G8KFN