cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace a failed switch in a stack?

How to replace a failed switch in a stack?

Justin_Schmidt
New Contributor
I have two x460-48t switches configured in a stack. I want to create a procedure for replacing one of them if it fails. I searched and found a similar question from a year ago. But the document that was offered as a solution is no longer available to download. Can someone please help me out?
We will have a spare running the same XOS on the same partition as the active/backup nodes. So we can remove the failed node and install the spare. The necessary commands to add the new node and synchronize the stack is what I'm not clear on. Thanks a lot
14 REPLIES 14

Hilario_Martin
New Contributor II

Hi,

Anyone know what is the best practice or recommendation whether to implement maximal or minimal redundancy?According to the official documentation, the easy-setup script does the setup in minimal redundancy, why not in maximal by default?

Executing "configure stacking easy-setup" command...
For every node in the 4-node stack, this command will:
- enable stacking
- configure a stack MAC address
- choose and configure a slot number (this node will be assigned to slot 1)
- configure redundancy to minimal (slot 1 will be the master node)
- configure the stacking protocol to enhanced

Thanks!

Justsomebodi
New Contributor III
Hi All

Is it possible to update the FW on the replacement slot using the fw present on the stack?

Thanks

welisson
New Contributor III
Hi Everyone,

In order to let all guys informed, We've done the replacement following exactly what is written in that GTAC[¹], and in our case we didn't need to run "enable stacking-support" once we have a specific module for that.
We just changed the protocols from standard to enhanced, and everything worked fine as expected.

[1]https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-replace-a-node-in-a-SummitStack

I hope that info can help other guys as well.

Cheers,
Welisson

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

the switch needs to be configured to use stacking before it can be added to a stack. See e.g. How to create a stack with Summit switches.
3. For each switch on which the stacking ports are not already enabled, issue the command enable stacking-support.
After that the correct stacking ports might need to be configured, as well as the correct stacking protocol. Those are prerequisites for the replacement switch to be seen in the stack topology (show stacking).

Erik
GTM-P2G8KFN