Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to RESTORE quickly XOS with Netsight Inventory Manager

How to RESTORE quickly XOS with Netsight Inventory Manager

_up__bb_
New Contributor III
Hi Guys,

Every backup have sense if restore work.
Now restore manually is working fine, but in the inventory manager consolle we have the restore wizard that could help, but ....

Suppose we have a network environment with a non default password or radius auth for access the switches, and we have a switch that have some problem but still reachable via their ip, and we want to replace it with another one.

So manually we:

take a new switch,
update the firmware,
install modules (ssh example) if need it,
winscp to the netsight to download the config (zipped even if called .cfg)
unpack the zip file on a local tftp
downalod the conf on the update switch
reboot and we are ready to install them.

there is a way to simplify this method?
If I use the restore wizard for the configuration, we need that the new switch have the same ip address of the faulted switch (sometimes is not possible) and respond with the same credential, (again in my example is not possible)

To solve I suppose, than adding at the restore wizard the capability to select the temporary ip address and the credential, where to restore the original configuration ...

Or if you have another IDEA or WAY to done quickly a restore please share it.

Best Regards
Roberto

8 REPLIES 8

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Thanks!

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Daniel,

These are great How to Guides! So great I made a copy of them in our GTAC Knowledge so everyone can use them. Just wanted you to know. 🙂

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/Windows-Server-Auto-Provision-of-Summit-Sw...

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/Zero-Touch-Provisioning-With-EXOS-and-Nets...

_up__bb_
New Contributor III
Daniel,

Great, but in this case I need to restore the configuration file on the tftpserver of the netsight appliance, this means to connect via ssh, find the right config file, unzip it and copy the file on the root of the tftp.
In the firts solution, we have the discovered device that is ready to receive the configuration via a right click....

So my question are:
Is possible to popolate the discevered list on the netsight device with some other method?
I suggest something like a scheduled discover (like autodiscover of prtg or other monitoring software )
this could bring some advantage to the platform:

1. Ability to solve my problem  also for third part device (or old extremeware switches)
2. Ability to facilitate the provision of new switch installed with or without our control (maybe the customer want to add the device by iself on the network and may don't remeber to add them to the managment platform, so we are sure to have a complete device inventory. )

Yout think is possible to add this feature in the next release?
Or in some ways is already possible?

Best regards
Roberto

_up__bb_
New Contributor III
Hi Daniel,

thanks for you patience,
I'm try to answer about the discover,

Where would you look for new devices?
Ususally we have one (or more) managment networks, wuould be fine to schedule a discover for this specific network(s) (maybe a differente schedule of each net)

How frequently would you scan?
Its depend, cound be once a day if I'm looking for new switches installed by the customer or a schedule more frequently if I need to keep a provisioning to replace a switch, or a features that let me "run now", but this is near a manually dicover ...

Would you use snmp v1, v2, v3? Wich creentials would you use?
Once again its dipend bye the schedule objective, could be the default credential snmp public/private (normally all device have is enabled) or the standard credential for a specific customer or both...

I know that could be difficult to implement, but I'm hope could be a Fateure Request?

Last question,
what happen when I Launch a discovery from the consolle, and after when I click Add device in the discovered list, are perhaps invoked scripts that I can customize and configure it on the crontab?

Roberto

GTM-P2G8KFN