cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to undo many configuration commands placed by mistake (unsave the configuration) in a EXOS.

How to undo many configuration commands placed by mistake (unsave the configuration) in a EXOS.

EXOS16
New Contributor II
Hello all to the community,

As the title says, I am looking (if exists) a way to undo many configuration commands putted in the equipment.

For example;
I am configuring one equipment that later will be on service (that means it can not be re-booted), during the configuration I mistakingly copy/paste around 40 configuration commands on the ports (that I already configured) and I alter the good configuration that already exist.

So, I check the documentation and google a little bit, but I didn't find a way to undo the action done and to revert back to the good state.

One alternative could be to re-boot the equipment and choose "don't save", but if the equipment is in a situation where it can not be re-booted because is offering a service, what alternatives can we make?. Another alternative could be executing the conf_diff.py script, and copy/paste the previous changes, but again we are relaying in copy/paste action.

So I want to be sure there isn't another clean way to revert back or undo the commands.

Thanks in advanced.

PS: I am running EXOS v16.
3 REPLIES 3

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
There's not necessarily a way to undo the config differences, but there's a Python script on our GitHub page that can help show you the differences.
https://github.com/extremenetworks/ExtremeScripting/tree/master/EXOS/Python/conf_diff

As long as you haven't saved the "wrong" config over the correct one, EXOS v16.1 should be able to run the script and give you the differences.

Karthik_Mohando
Extreme Employee
Hi, Even if you have a backup file .cfg which you can restore to the switch still a reboot is required so i could not think of a better way other than executing the script (.xsf) or the .py which you have mentioned.

Thanks for your reply.

Could be good if in the future they can implement such feature in EXOS.
GTM-P2G8KFN