cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How we do implement Stacking enable on already running production environment?

How we do implement Stacking enable on already running production environment?

Alok_Shukla
New Contributor III
Want to implement Stacking in already running the production environment, do we have required to backup of configuration or again will do VLAN port-based configuration?

Model is: X440-p24

7 REPLIES 7

Ansley_Barnes
New Contributor
I actually was very surprised when I reconfigured an X440-G2-24p running EXOS 22.4 from a non-stacking config to a stacking one that the config was preserved and converted to a stacking configuration. I assume it wouldn't be appropriate in all circumstances, but in the basic situation where the standalone switch you had will now be a stack master, it now works. I was prepared to dump an already-prepared config I had onto the unit but did not need to.

Chad5
Contributor
Just a quick note to say that... I hope this changes in the future. This function should be automatically done, when a stack is enabled, config would be updated transparently, and user shouldn't worry about it. It was a big surprise when I found this out going from ERS to EXOS.

I find myself now enabling stacking on all my switches, even if they are one unit installs just to be future proof. my switches are remote, and we sometimes decide to add units when more ports needed.

Thanks,

Vellachery__Sum
Extreme Employee
Alok,

If you enable stacking on a stand-alone switch (which has existing configuration), the configuration wouldn't be available on the switch.

As the stack would be booted with Factory default. You would need to re-configure stack once again (i.e the port related configuration and vlan configuration,
everything from the scratch.

You should be able to pull the config off, change the port syntax , create the stack, and drop the config back in with about a 15 minute outage. If possible I would test the updated config on a lab switch, just to be safe. Good luck,
GTM-P2G8KFN