How do you extract an XOS off of a summit X450a-24T to a tftp server? I need step by step instructions please!

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I have been playing around with the Extremes for a few days now, I'm more familiar with Cisco networking gear and i cannot figure out how to extract the XOS off the unit.
I know for cisco the command would be "copy tftp flash:"
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • indifferent

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sumit Tokle

Sumit Tokle, Alum

• 5,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
There is no way to extract EXOS software from Switch.
Photo of Travis

Travis

so how do i get a copy of the XOS so i can have a backup for future switches?
Photo of Travis

Travis

so how do i get a copy of the XOS so i can have a backup for future switches?
Photo of Darren Saliva

Darren Saliva

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
## Install backed up Config file
tftp get <tftp server ip> vr "VR-Default" <file name.xsf> press enter
load script <file name>

## Save a config file
upload config <tftp server IP> <filename.xsf> vr vr-default press enter
Photo of Travis

Travis

Dont need the config need the XOS
Photo of Darren Saliva

Darren Saliva

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You have to have a valid support contract with extreme to download any new XOS firmware versions. you can download it from their support site.

##Update Firmware
download image <tftp address> <filename.xsf> vr vr-default <partition- should be opposite of booted partition>
Photo of Paul Russo

Paul Russo, Alum

• 9,694 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Travis

You will always have access to the version of code you have on the switch and all of the Sustaining releases.  You can get the code simply by calling GTAC.

Call GTAC and they will help get you the code now.  You should also have access to our esupport if you have a Summit product that supports LLW

Hope that helps

P
Photo of Sumit Tokle

Sumit Tokle, Alum

• 5,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I believe the TAC can only provide EXOS software if the device is in software contract.
Photo of Travis

Travis

This definitely pushes me away from buying or advising anyone to buy any extreme hardware.  
Photo of Paul Russo

Paul Russo, Alum

If the product is within warranty for example a Summit 440 or 460 then they get the newest version of code, which today is 15.5 and all of the SR versions of bug fixes.  If it is a product that has a year warranty then they can get any code that ships withing the first 90 days.

Travis I am sorry you are not happy with this.  You can have the code you need for your product.  Extreme has one OS for all of our products so we need to have a way to make sure someone doesn't take a version of code they don't have a license for and put it on another switch.  You are allowed to have access to the code that is appropriate for your product by either logging on to our esupport portal or by calling our GTAC whichever is convenient.

Thanks
P
Photo of Travis

Travis

I bought the product used from eBay, I have no warranty's or service agreements with Extreme. I have attempted to reach them and I have been told they can do nothing for me without a service agreement or warranty. 
Thanks for taking time and answering my questions with detailed responses. 
Photo of Paul Russo

Paul Russo, Alum

Hey Travis

the 450a is an older version of the switch which makes sense that you got it used. Can you do a show version command and copy the results here please.

P
Photo of ahiya zadok

ahiya zadok

• 60 Points
hi
is it possible to upgrade this switch to xos 15.6 ?
thanks
Photo of PARTHIBAN CHINNAYA

PARTHIBAN CHINNAYA, Alum

• 4,382 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
X450a cant be upgraded to 15.6.Hardware limitation.
Photo of Grosjean, Stephane

Grosjean, Stephane, Employee

• 13,346 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
x450a can be upgraded to up to EXOS 15.3.