cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i BGP next hop self issue

i BGP next hop self issue

Sumanta_Ghosh
New Contributor
Next hop self not working as expected in i-BGP peering. We have e-BGP peering across Extreme pair of L3 switches towards ISP routers. Also we have i-BGP peering between application nodes and the Extreme switches. Refer to diagram below. Default route is advertised by ISP routers and reaches Extreme A and B, but not till Application node at the left-most side. Next-hop self is enabled for IPv6, still I can see on Extreme that the default route next hop is shown as the ISP router interface, instead of the Extreme switch.

This works fine with IPv4, as expected.

0a0bda6a42b9409f97e2b9c1a81545e1_RackMultipart20161108-107387-rg8qd0-set_up_inline.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Nice. I actually had that in my last reply but that that was to trivial. Anyway, that does make sense and glad it worked.

Sumanta_Ghosh
New Contributor
Hi All

It got fixed by enabling IPv6 unicast next hop self. Normal next hop self only enables for IPv4, by default. For IPv6, it has to be enabled under address family.

configure bgp neighbor fd00:x.y.y::1 address-family ipv6-unicast next-hop-self

Oh yes, I thought you did it, I miss read your snippet. It applies for anything, btw. IPv4 unicast is assumed by default, so we are generally not used to it, but yes, you have to specify the address-family. Good you found it.

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
Are the Extreme BGP routers sending the route to the App? Is your BGP daemon on the server side receiving the route? Do you have some routing policy? What about ASN? No AS-Path loop there?
GTM-P2G8KFN