I have an AP3825i that its rebooting!!

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Hello I have a problem with an AP3825i, it ́s reboot sometimes but just it is down about 40 seconds. How can I run a diagnostic? 

Regads.
Photo of Angel Pavon

Angel Pavon

• 544 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Scott Whall

Scott Whall, Employee

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Angel - You can attach a cable to the console port and capture the log output via putty.  The cable to use is a db-9 to rj-45.

Also - I'm assuming you have the AP configured on an ExtremeWireless appliance (controller)?  If so, do you have enough AP capacity for the AP?
Photo of Angel Pavon

Angel Pavon

• 544 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi scott of course I have a controller C5210 so I don ́t think thats the problem, I have some logs in the AP:

0: 0d00:00:10: CRITICAL, Warm start firmware 09.15.04.0011 due to unspecified reason
48: 0d00:00:08: CRITICAL, Warm start firmware 09.21.05.0007 due to unspecified reason
48: 0d00:00:26: CRITICAL, Ethernet link up
49: 0d00:00:08: CRITICAL, Warm start firmware 09.21.05.0007 due to unspecified reason
49: 0d00:00:26: CRITICAL, Ethernet link up
49: 15d00:30:11: MAJOR, DCS Measured Noise -64dBm Exceeded Threshold of -80dBm on chann. 5260Mhz
49: 15d00:35:11: MAJOR, DCS Measured Noise 83dBm Dropped below Threshold of -80dBm on chann. 5260Mhz total 661 events

Do you think that the problem it ́s in the AP ?
Photo of Scott Whall

Scott Whall, Employee

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Angel - 

Partial logs aren't going to tell us much.  If you can determine that Spanning Tree, or some other physical connection, is not the problem, then you can get the AP trace log tarball (Logs/AP:traces/Retrieve Traces) when the AP is up, and open a Case with our Service Desk for further review.
Photo of Stephen McGuire

Stephen McGuire

• 904 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I had an AP that would go out occasionally.  It would power off and then start backup.

Turns out spanning tree was turning the WIFI AP port off (including the POE power).  A student had used his consumer AP and bridged the WiFi and plugged it into the wall creating a loop.  Spanning tree was doing it's job.

Found it by comparing the MAC addresses and some sleuthing.

-Stephen
Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy, Embassador

• 9,788 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Check to see how many spanning tree topology changes you have on your network. If the counter is incrementing quickly, that could potential he be a cause of your issues.
Photo of Rich Pacheco

Rich Pacheco

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We've run in to a similar issue on our campus.  We currently only allow gaming systems on the wired network, so some students have tried bridging the gaming system to their laptop.  The bridged connection triggers spanning tree on the AP port which would reboot the AP.  The student's laptop would then associate with the next closest AP and it would cause that one to reboot.  The student usually realizes that the hack won't work and would quickly delete the bridged connection.  For those students who were more persistent,  we would black list their laptop and wait for them to call our help desk complaining that they can't get on the wireless network..
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 45,024 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Noobs - I'd never connect my console via wireless, that would increase my ping/delay and affect my perfomance in online matches :-)