I yesterday upgrade my vx9000 controller to version 5.9.1.1 and after that the wifi network is going very slow

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
I yesterday upgrade my vx9000 controller to version 5.9.1.1 and after that the wifi network is going very slow the working version before the upgrade was 5.8.4
Photo of Gezos Mega

Gezos Mega

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

• 1,878 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Check the radio channels...I've seen instances where smart-rf doesn't work as expected after an upgrade and you end-up with all or most radios on the same channel at high power, causing massive co-channel interference.

Here's a perfect example:
Notice that both APs 2.4GHz radios (while fairly close together) are on channel 1 at power level 21, even though the MAX power is specified as 10 in the smart-rf policy, and similarly for the 5GHz radios.

VX9000-PROD-1#sh running-config smart-rf-policy smart1
smart-rf-policy smart1
 assignable-power 5GHz max 13
 assignable-power 5GHz min 6
 assignable-power 2.4GHz max 10
 assignable-power 2.4GHz min 6
VX9000-PROD-1#sh wi radio on ap
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RADIO                RADIO-MAC             RF-MODE        STATE       CHANNEL    POWER #CLIENT 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ap8533-Kitchen:R1    XX-XX-XX-XX-E8-60 2.4GHz-wlan           On     1 (  smt) 21 (smt)       2 
ap8533-Kitchen:R2    XX-XX-XX-XX-43-60   5GHz-wlan           On    40 (  smt) 16 (smt)       3 
ap8533-Kitchen:R3    XX-XX-XX-XX-A8-90      sensor          Off   N/A (  smt) 30 (smt)       0 
ap8533-In..ration:R1 XX-XX-XX-XX-DB-E0 2.4GHz-wlan           On     1 (  smt) 21 (smt)       3 
ap8533-In..ration:R2 XX-XX-XX-XX-39-C0   5GHz-wlan           On    36 (  smt) 16 (smt)       0 
ap8533-In..ration:R3 XX-XX-XX-XX-24-50      sensor          Off   N/A (  smt) 20 (smt)       0 
I have found that you need to first make sure that you don't have the 'no neighbor-recovery' setting in the smart-rf configuration as it will cause this problem.
After that, clearing the smart-rf configuration will generally correct this.  It takes 30+ minutes for it to take effect though.  The CLI command is:
#service smart-rf clear-config