Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Inter vlan routing

Inter vlan routing

Jeromy_Carver
New Contributor
All,

I am new to networking and I have 2 Extreme Networks Summit 200-48 switches and 2 PC's. I am trying to setup a vlan on each switch and connect a PC to each one and have them communicate. I have done this with 1 switch before but I am having problems with this. If anybody can help I would appreciate it.

4 REPLIES 4

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Jeromy,

one detail you have to consider with EXOS is that you need to explicitly enable IP forwarding on a VLAN to have it participate in routing. So you need to do the following steps for each VLAN:
  1. create VLAN
  2. configure IP address for the VLAN
  3. enable IP forwarding for the VLAN
  4. add ports to the VLAN
There is a GTAC Knowledge article pertaining to your question:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-enable-inter-VLAN-routing-in-EXOS/

Since you have two switches you need to at least create a trunk between both switches and configure both router IP addresses on one switch.

If you configure one IP on switch one and the other on switch 2, you need a static route pointing from one switch to the other (or use dynamic routing). If you want to use two switches for routing you might want to consider looking into VRRP and/or OSPF.

Erik

BradP
Extreme Employee
Welcome to networking!

There is a great article for "getting started" with our switches on our knowledge base:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-are-the-basic-commands-to-create-and-val...

Its also important to note that by default, each switch will have all ports in the default vlan. So, if you're trying to add ports to a vlan that you created, you must first delete them from the default vlan
configure vlan default delete port
configure vlan add port if you are unsure of next possible choices in a command, the TAB key is your friend.

BradP
Extreme Employee
Hi Jeromy,

Is this a lab setup or something you are doing for your company on production equipment?

Hi Brad,

This is just a lab setup. I am mainly a hardware technician and my manager is wanting me to learn new skills. I am just wanting to get 2 PC's communicating using 2 switches that are on a different vlan and each PC will be connected to these different vlans. I know this is probably something simple but I am not that familiar with making this work, I have done this using 1 switch but not 2. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more information from me just let me know.
GTM-P2G8KFN