IP Monitoring

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I am fairly new to Extreme and Exos. I was wondering how I would poll an IP address from an Extreme switch and remove a static route from the routing table should that poll fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Matthew Helm

Matthew Helm, Employee

• 1,852 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You might consider looking into iproute ping protection, a feature introduced in 16.2. The description is in the 16.2.2 release notes.

Here are the commands.

configure iproute add [default  | ipv4_or_ipv6_network ] gateway

{protection  [bfd  | ping  |none ]}

configure iproute {ipv4  | ipv6 } protection ping interval seconds miss

misses

enable iproute {ipv4  | ipv6 } protection ping

disable iproute {ipv4  | ipv6 } protection ping

show iproute {ipv4  | ipv6 } protection ping  {v4_or_v6_gateway } {vr vr_name }

{detail }

Photo of kjstech

kjstech

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Except it’s broken on the x690’s running 22.3. Gtac said it should be fixed in 22.5, around April.

Was in a situation this evening where this would have worked wonders. Need to use this to switch to a backup connection to another site if the primary fails. Tried OSPF on the primary link , and static on the backup... but the backup always took precidence because of being a static route. Sure you could change the ospf precidence, but it requires a switch reboot, and it applies to all routes when I just want to apply it to two routes.

In the end I had to hand off to a cisco 3750 switch doing IP sLA. Not optimal, but without OSPF on the providers backup router, can’t cost it out between that link and a point to point wireless (primary) link.
Photo of SilentAdmin

SilentAdmin

• 60 Points
Hi guys,

Does this protection ping only work for next hop? Is there a way to ping 8.8.8.8 for example through one route, and if that fails go to the next one down?

Thanks in advanced

--
Jesus