ISW 16804 Configuration

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I am brand new to the Extreme Switch 16804 and I'm not a router guy
Going through doing basic configuration, IP config
Mode - Host or Router ?
Reading through the config guide it says Host mode won't route traffic through any port
Popup Help window is useless
Search for Youtube videos is a total waste of time, frustrated

Can anyone explain which mode this switch should be in, it's purpose is to sit at each end of a wireless link and pass vlans and QinQ

Also how do I specify a gateway for the NTP ?

Dave
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tripathy, Priya Ranjan

Tripathy, Priya Ranjan, ESE

• 2,306 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hey Dave,

Welcome to HUB for your participation.
I can see here you are talking about the Industrial switch for its desired mode to be placed in and setting up gateway for the NTP.

Basically these ISW devices can have two way of access either via GUI or CLI mode. When you consider them to be implemented for any configuration set up then it would be wise to put them under config mode always. 

Coming to setup the gateway for NTP you can either login to the device using its default ip address and log in credential to get into GUI mode where you can find the tab configuration under which there is NTP option available to configure your gateway as server else you can achieve them using cli mode as well:

ntp server <1-5> ip-address <ip>Description Set NTP server address.

Syntax:

ntp server <1-5> ip-address { <ipv4_ucast> | <ipv6_ucast> | <hostname> }
Parameter

Name Description
<1-5> index number 
<ipv4>
<ipv6 > Type: Mandatory
<hostname> Server name
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

You're way back, I've already logged in thru the GUI, and set 2 NTP server iP's in the list
I've changed vlan 1 iP and added another management vlan and set an iP for it as well

In order for the NTP to try an update, it requires a gateway address such as 192.168.1.254 as an example, where is this set in the device

My 2nd question pertains to the question at the top of the IP page, HOST or ROUTER mode for the device, there is a choice, pick one. 

I will have 2 of these switches, one on each end of a wireless link, each having a static iP for inband management on a management vlan

The switches will pass a variety of vlans with QinQ
Photo of Brandon Clay

Brandon Clay, Escalation Support Engineer

• 13,254 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dave,

'Router' mode will allow the ISW to route traffic between its IP interfaces (equivalent to 'enable ipforwarding' on all VLANs in an EXOS switch). In 'Host' mode, the ISW will not route traffic between its IP interfaces (so another router will need to exist on the network if traffic is to be forwarded between VLANs).

Based on your description of this use case, it sounds like 'Host' mode is what you want, since you simply want the switch to pass QinQ traffic.

As for your question regarding the gateway, that is set on the same IP page. There is a "Default Gateway" box near the bottom of the page. This is where you would enter the gateway.

Please see the following page for details on the IP Mode and Default Gateway:
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/industrial_switches/web_config/Industrial_Switching/Web_Use... 

-Brandon
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

There are external routers so no inter-vlan routing would ever occur within the ISW

So the event Log requires a time and date stamp

I have specified the iP address of 2 time servers

Where do I specify the gateway on our management vlan, all of our machines have inband management on a specific vlan and all devices point to that gateway so the NTP can be updated for the log. 

I can't leave the Log recording entries dated 1970
Photo of Erik Auerswald

Erik Auerswald, Embassador

• 12,960 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dave,

it seems you can set a default route using the "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <GATEWAY_IP>" CLI command in configuration mode. See http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/industrial_switches/CLI/Industrial_Switching/CLI_Guide/r_ip....

I did not see an "ip default-gateway" command in the docs, that command would be the one to use on a Cisco IOS layer 2 switch. The ISW CLI seems to be similar to Cisco IOS (also known as "industry standard CLI").

Erik
Photo of Brandon Clay

Brandon Clay, Escalation Support Engineer

• 13,254 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you want to configure the default gateway from the GUI, it is on the Configuration > System IP page. There is a "Default Gateway" box near the bottom of the page. This is where you would enter the gateway.

Please see the following page for details on the IP configuration:
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/industrial_switches/web_config/Industrial_Switching/Web_Use... 
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

Nope, not there which is why I am asking. 

So that brings us to talk about the firmware level V01.01.01.0005 

and here is a screen shot

Photo of Erik Auerswald

Hi Dave,

you can try the "Add Route" button to add a default route.

Erik
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

no example in the manual

I want the gateway on vlan 99 to 10.10.41.1

What does that look like
Photo of Erik Auerswald

Network: 0.0.0.0
Mask length: 0
Gateway: 10.10.41.1

That should suffice, it is equivalent to the CLI command "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.41.1".

Please note that I do not have an ISW switch available to test.

Thanks,
Erik
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

Yup that worked thank you

Under VLANS, each port has a vlan assigned to it PVID

On TRUNK ports C-PORT    I assume I should assign the management vlan to the trunk ports ?

All ports are configured as TRUNK or ACCESS, nothing else

Access ports would be assigned the vlan that is being untagged
Photo of Erik Auerswald

Hi Dave,

the PVID (port VLAN ID) determines into which VLAN an Ethernet frame entering the port is placed, if the Ethernet frame does not contain a VLAN tag.

You would allow the management VLAN as tagged on the TRUNK ports. All frames on a trunk should be tagged. TRUNK ports are used between switches.

An ACCESS port is used to connect end systems. There is usually just one VLAN configured on an access port, and the Ethernet frames usually do not contain a VLAN tag (this is untagged). An ACCESS port might have a voice VLAN as well, if both an IP phone and a PC are connected to the port.

Erik
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

Thank you Eric

Have you configured QinQ on one of these, it's above my normal experience with vlans on simpler switches

We need to place a switch on each end of a radio link and pass a variety of vlans along with one vlan having QinQ

Trunk ports straight through end to end, Client will untag and break out on their gear
Photo of Erik Auerswald

Hi Dave,

I have never used an ISW switch. The documentation suggests that a HYBRID port type is used for Q-in-Q. The C-Tag or inner tag (client tag) is used to distinguish client VLANs, and transported inside a Q-in-Q tunnel. The S-Tag or outer tag (service tag) is used to distinguish different transport tunnels. You would probably configure a hybrid port to place every inbound frame into a service VLAN, and send frames from the service VLAN without the S-Tag out of that port. To transport the Q-in-Q tagged frames you use trunk ports that allow the service VLANs.

I cannot tell you how to configure this on an ISW, sorry. :-(

Erik
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

That is a good overview and coincides with what I have been reading, also see a reference to configuring VMAN

It is unfortunate that they have not done a white paper on QinQ

All of the documentation does not specifically address QinQ from a lower skill level point of view

I'm sure it's child's play for a senior CCNA skill level

I'll push back at Tech Support for an example spelled out with a big crayon

Dave
Photo of EtherMAN

EtherMAN, Embassador

• 6,688 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
LOL Dave... QnQ or Vmans are the way we carriers pass other carriers layer 2 services across our part of services as transparent as we can.  A Vman is just another layer on top.  A few  main things that always must happen no matter what vendor you use.. First all QnQ links must have jumbo frames enabled as you will be adding additional headers and the frame will be bigger that 1500.  Next you must know what ethertype the QnQ/Vman is and if you plan to handoff tagged QnQ.Vmans between two different vendors the ethertype must be the same.  We have seen as many as 4 separate headers in our metro carrier network so far... Have fun and welcome to the group 
Photo of Dave Emery

Dave Emery

Good advice, I saw reference to the ethertype, I'll ask for that from the Client right now so we know

Thanks for the reminder, that's one that could hang a guy up for a while :-)

Dave