Did you mean:Ā 

ISW 16804 Configuration

ISW 16804 Configuration

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
I am brand new to the Extreme Switch 16804 and I'm not a router guy
Going through doing basic configuration, IP config
Mode - Host or Router ?
Reading through the config guide it says Host mode won't route traffic through any port
Popup Help window is useless
Search for Youtube videos is a total waste of time, frustrated

Can anyone explain which mode this switch should be in, it's purpose is to sit at each end of a wireless link and pass vlans and QinQ

Also how do I specify a gateway for the NTP ?

Dave
18 REPLIES 18

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hello there,

I just saw that the ISW datasheet doesn't mention routing.
Is it desired for some reason to hide that info or rather a 'typo'?

Kind regards,
Tomasz

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
Good advice, I saw reference to the ethertype, I'll ask for that from the Client right now so we know

Thanks for the reminder, that's one that could hang a guy up for a while šŸ™‚

Dave

EtherMAN
Contributor III
LOL Dave... QnQ or Vmans are the way we carriers pass other carriers layer 2 services across our part of services as transparent as we can. A Vman is just another layer on top. A few main things that always must happen no matter what vendor you use.. First all QnQ links must have jumbo frames enabled as you will be adding additional headers and the frame will be bigger that 1500. Next you must know what ethertype the QnQ/Vman is and if you plan to handoff tagged QnQ.Vmans between two different vendors the ethertype must be the same. We have seen as many as 4 separate headers in our metro carrier network so far... Have fun and welcome to the group

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
That is a good overview and coincides with what I have been reading, also see a reference to configuring VMAN

It is unfortunate that they have not done a white paper on QinQ

All of the documentation does not specifically address QinQ from a lower skill level point of view

I'm sure it's child's play for a senior CCNA skill level

I'll push back at Tech Support for an example spelled out with a big crayon

Dave
GTM-P2G8KFN