Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job scheduled with PING to...

Job scheduled with PING to...

Visconti
New Contributor III
Hi,
I would create a scheduled job that ping a particular port and give me an alarm if the pc connected at this port do not respond

15 REPLIES 15

StephanH
Valued Contributor III
Hello Visconti,

if you want to protect you XMC licenses you can write a XMC script. Following setup:
  1. Ping Device (IP). Does not have to be a switch configured in XMC!
  2. Parse the result of the ping
  3. If the ping fails create an syslog entry (you can use the little program "logger" available on XMC on Linux platforms.
  4. Set an alarm (with the XMC alarm manager)
Best regards
Stephan

Regards Stephan

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
How about an EXOS TCL script scheduled, so the XMC would log in to the switch, perform ping or show fdb or anything else and by parsing the output ($CLI.OUT variable) you could see what's going on...?
From EXOS side you could play with UPM scripts and EMS-based event trigger so once a port is down (or else) you would take care.
Or you can do that without any need for proactive action - an edge switch should syslog its events, and with XMC alarms you can wait for appropriate event showing port X is down so the alarm goes up.

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
In the topic and in categories I didn't see EOS, sorry. With B5 I don't believe TCL type scripting is possible. 😞
I think David's option to add a device to XMC with "ping only" poll type sounds good but it consumes your license so it's not scalable.

Visconti
New Contributor III
can you explane me how can I do this ?
It's very interessant but I am a beginner..
I must use CLI ?
GTM-P2G8KFN