Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Jumbo Frame & IP MTU

Jumbo Frame & IP MTU

Mrxlazuardin
New Contributor III
Hi,

If I'm using "configure ip-mtu vlan" for specifying MTU size for a specific VLAN, should I use "enable jumbo-frame ports" for each port associated to that VLAN?

What is the relation with "configure jumbo-frame-size" if there are more than one tagged VLAN with different MTU on "configure ip-mtu vlan" with same associated ports?

Best regards,
4 REPLIES 4

OscarK
Extreme Employee
Just enable jumbo-frames on the ports, keep the default jumbo-frame size.
Then for each vlan you need to route bigger packets set the ip-mtu for that vlan to the value needed. Add the vlans to the ports.

Mrxlazuardin
New Contributor III
HI Oscar,

Can you give me some example of mixed tagged and untagged VLAN configuration of a port with different MTU for each VLAN (some with normal 1500 MTU)?

Best regards,

OscarK
Extreme Employee
enable jumbo-frame ports is for L2 switching of packets.
The IP-MTU setting on vlans is for L3 routing to route jumbo frames.

You cannot increase the ip-mtu without also enabling jumbo frames on the involved ports.

Prabhakar_Rao_M
Extreme Employee
As per our implementation,"config ip-mtu size vlan" doesn't impact ipv4 jumbo frame data path traffic provided whether jumbo frame is enabled on ingress and egress L3 vlan ports using cmd "enable jumbo-frame ports".So, for fast path routing of ipv4 jumbo frame we need to enable jumbo-frame ports.

I believe there is no relation of "configure jumbo-frame size" with different L3 MTU for more than one tagged VLAN as for as ipv4 data path traffic is concerned .

L3 MTU size impact only l3 slow path traffic and some routing protocols.
GTM-P2G8KFN