cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LACP LAG Load sharing methods

LACP LAG Load sharing methods

treese
Contributor
There are many load sharing methods with LAG for Extreme and I would like to see documentation or have someone explain each one. Reason being is we have LACP LAGs, MLAGs, static LAGs in our environments. Some are Extreme to Extreme and others are FW to Extreme, Linux to Extreme, ESX host to Extreme. Just looking for the best load distribution and have always done address-based L3_L4 LACP. I believe our single port LAGs to MLAG set is this way too.

Thank you, very much.
10 REPLIES 10

treese
Contributor
Excellent, this helps.

Thank you,
Ted

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
it shouldn't matter. The traffic is only hashed using the algorithm on egress. Each side is not aware of how the other side is configured. The only thing that needs to match on both sides no matter what algorithm is being used is the LACP configuration. LACP has to be configured on both sides in order for the port to be added into the aggregate.

treese
Contributor
That make sense, where I'm getting stuck is when I create LAG's I would expect both sides to be configured the same. Since this is from an Extreme switch to a Linux server then I don't suspect there to be a configuration for L3_L4 on the Linux side.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
It depends on the traffic. If the source and destination MAC address are constantly different then the load can be distributed more even. Same concept with L3_L4. The LACP portion does not affect the distribution of traffic.
GTM-P2G8KFN