Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

LAG Questions

LAG Questions

Daniel_Valera1
New Contributor II
Hi!

I want create a LAG configuration, but i have some questions.

1. can i configure it using ports to diferent slots?
2. once configured if the master port pass to down state , everything LAG link is down?

Regards
14 REPLIES 14

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Daniel,

Starting with EXOS v15.7 you have the possibility of configuring the minimum number of links that must be active in a LAG before it is considered as "down".

Suppose you have two LAGs, each with 4 links, and that you configure one of them to be a backup of the other with the
configure ports primaryPort redundant secondaryPort {link [on | off]}command.

The secondary port (LAG) will not be activated until the first port (LAG) goes down. In a normal LAG that would happen only when ALL the links in the primary LAG go down. But if you have, say, 4 links in each LAG, you may want to switch to the secondary port (LAG) when two links in the primary LAG fail, so you don't lose performance.

You would do that with the
configure sharing port minimum-active min_links_activecommand.

Also, in EXOS v21.1 (and soon in EXOS v16.2) there's a new feature specifically for when you have ports on different modules in a modular switch, or different switches in a stack, that lets you modify how EXOS distributes traffic among the members of a LAG.

in the past, EXOS would always distribute traffic to all active members of a LAG. Now, you can specify a subset of the active member ports as elegible on a per slot basis. using the
configure sharing distribution-modecommand.

You can specify the "local-slot" keyword to restrict distibution of traffic only to ports that are in the same slot (switch) where the traffic has been received. This prevents forcing traffic to traversethe backplane (or stack port)s to be transmitted through a LAG port in another slot (switch) in the chassis (stack), reducing latency.

You can also create "port lists" to indicate a subset of ports through which the traffic would be transmitted.

This only applies to unicast traffic.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Daniel,

I just need some clarification. By computers are you referring to the switch? or are you referring to a server on the other side. You should not need to reboot either for the LAG to take effect. LACP does need to be configured on both sides before the ports become part of the LAG.

Yes Patrick iĀ“m referring about Switch... tanks a lot.

regards

Daniel_Valera1
New Contributor II
Last question: I need to restart computers to take the LAG configuration?
GTM-P2G8KFN