Lag X460G2 CCR1009

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Solved
Hi, im having a issue while tring to bond 2 ports between a x460-g2 and a mikrotik ccr1009. My TX traffic get balanced but there is no way to balance RX.

I've tried using 802.3ad, L2, L3, L3_L4 and custom, with and without lacp, updated routerOS, but get no results.

This is

Config for X460G2 and CCR1009 as follow:

Thank you in advance :)
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Patrick Voss

Patrick Voss, Alum

• 11,674 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Bruno,

Are you referring to the RX traffic from the perspective of the x460? If so the "balancing" would happen on the other side. The LAG algorithm is only going to come in play for egress traffic.
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

Hello, thanks for the fast reply :) im looking from ccr1009 perspective so the packets x460 is sending aren't balanced;
Photo of Patrick Voss

Patrick Voss, Alum

• 11,674 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Bruno,

Depending on the traffic flow it might be difficult to "balance" the traffic considering it is not processed in a round robin fashion. Are there multiple VLANs on this port?
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

Hello, no, there is only 1 vlan on this port. the problem is, it is balancing nothing at all. its trowing like, 100mb on one port and 2kb on another. If it divide even 30-70 then it would be alright.
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 40,690 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
How many different and unique connections/clients are in your LAG test?
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

Im going to test it with production connections, take it out of lab since the first guess of @Patrick Voss may be right. I'll come back after new tests to tell the results. @Drew C, my lag uses 2 ports and i did a test with a bandwidth simulation tool from winbox.  
Photo of Drew C.

I think that's the problem, there's not enough variety to see traffic hash to a different port. Keep in mind that this isn't load balancing; it's load sharing :)
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

Thanks for your help. I just put in production and it worked. used the 2 of them as 802.ad3, x460g2 as custom LACD and CCR1009 as L3_L4. Dont know if was the routerOS update i did this morning or @Patrick Voss Guessing but it worked :D

Thank you @Patrick Voss and @Drew C for your help and patience. Have a good day;
Photo of Drew C.

Great! Glad we could help!
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

Ops, one more thing. Is there a way to configure round robin on x460? if yes, then how?
Photo of Drew C.

Round Robin is not supported.
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

Thank you;
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

• 3,438 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
As an add-on to one of the other responses. I believe the method of sharing is to run the appropriate type of connection (L2, L3_L4, etc.) through a hashing algorithm and then divide that value by the number of ports in the LAG. The modulo (remainder) is used to select the port (0 being the first port, 1 being the second, etc.). Since the modulo is always 0 or "1 less" than the total number of ports (since you divided by that), it's a pretty easy decision to make. Mathematically, without enough source/dest. combos, you could see a pretty big difference between one or the other.  

Eric