cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load balancing or Band Steering which is better?

Load balancing or Band Steering which is better?

Sai_Prasad_Rao_
New Contributor III
Clients are getting stuck to the access point which they connect for the first time, they are not moving to other ap while roaming. I have enabled bandsteering for all those ap's. Is that causing the issue.... Just removed bandsteering and configured client load balancing will that help ?
18 REPLIES 18

Doug
Extreme Employee
Take a look at .... https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-set-up-a-Client-Balancing-AP-load-g...
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

FES
New Contributor III
Hi,
in addition to the post, to work properly with load balancing the aps should be near one to other. Also the messages to do the roaming between aps are send using multicast. Then you must enable multicast in the aps vlan in order to work properly with load balancing. Somebody can confirm this?
If you have 802.11x, have you tried to enabled at the Privacy tab in wlan service, Key Management Options, with Oportunistic & Pre-Auth option? I have read that this improve the roaming and reauthentication.
Also you have Fast Transition option (802.11r) that improves de roaming at devices that support the standard.

Otherwise I have had problems with band select with iphone devices... In my lab finally I clear this option and I dont have enabled this option in production. I can see clients that sometimes are in 2,4 and sometimes in 5.

We have testing all this options to improve the performance of the network. All the ideas are welcome.

sorry for my english

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
It's a minor release = fixing bugs.

You'd find the release notes which include the resolved issues as soon as they are released right here...
http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/release-notes

"stable" - I think they would only release a software if it was stable in the lab.

Does that mean it doesn't include a software bug - NO - there is no software without problems.

Saiprasad_Rao_R
New Contributor II
What's new in this latest release. Any issues / bugs resolved.....is it stable?.....
GTM-P2G8KFN