Locate Mac Address for WiNG5 conversion on RFS6000 version 4.4.2.0-001R

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
I am looking for a simple CLI command that will tell me the MAC address of an rfs6000 to be used when upgrading to WiNG5. With WiNG5 it is a simple sh version, but the MAC is not listed in sh ver on WiNG4. I need to gather this from a large number of locations and looking for a short and simple command to output the MAC address that would be used to adopt to a VX WiNG5 controller. 
Photo of Justin Cox

Justin Cox

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Gavin May

Gavin May, Employee

• 418 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Justin

I don't have a 4.x switch handy at the moment, but I can try to get one fired up and check for you.    You might try the command "Show License" to see if that displays the MAC.   I am curious why you need the MAC Addresses.   The MAC should not play a role in a typical 4.x to 5.x upgrade. 

Gavin May
Photo of Justin Cox

Justin Cox

Gavin, 
I am building out the configuration for all the location ahead of the refresh, I need to MAC for the controller profile. They are upgrading already install AP/Controllers from 4.4 to 5.8.x. 

I can get the MAC by logging into the switch the controller is connected, but I already have to log into the controllers and get some other data. I am just trying to reduce number devices I have to log into and time spent. So not a huge priority, but I thought someone might have a quick answer. 

rfs6000 yy-yy-yy-yy-yy-yy
 use profile XXXXX-6000
 use rf-domain 9999
 hostname controller1.s09999.us
 ip name-server 111.111.111.111
 ip name-server 111.111.111.111
 ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1
 interface vlan99
  ip address xx.xx.xx.xx/xx
 ntp server 20.20.20.20
 cluster name XXXXXX
 cluster mode standby
 cluster member ip xxxxx level 1
 cluster master-priority 250
(Edited)
Photo of Gavin May

Gavin May, Employee

Thanks for the context Justin.   Try the "show mac-name" command and see if that gets you what you need.    
Photo of Gavin May

Gavin May, Employee

Per the 4.x cli reference guide, the command "show mac-name" will list the MAC.
Photo of Justin Cox

Justin Cox

Unfortunately, that is not it.

#show mac-name
Number of MAC names configured = 0
#show mac-name ?
| Output modifiers
> Output redirection
>> Output redirection appending

#show mac-name
Number of MAC names configured = 0
Photo of Gavin May

Gavin May, Employee

Shoot, I guess that command only shows the MAC if you have already configured names / aliases for the various interfaces.  Let me dig a controller out and fire it up.   4.x has not been supported for a few years so we don't keep them up and running.
Photo of Gavin May

Gavin May, Employee

I went through a 4.x to 5.x firmware upgrade and determined that the MAC Address of interface VLAN 1 under 4.x is equivalent to the Base MAC Address of the same controller once it was upgraded to 5.x.   So if you run the command “show int vlan 1” under WiNG 4.x, you will get the MAC to use in your WiNG 5.x configuration.   Perhaps you could test this one controller and confirm you see the same results.