cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Max concurrent client connections per WiNG AP?

Max concurrent client connections per WiNG AP?

Son_Nguyen2
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

Could someone let me know the max concurrent client connections per radio and per AP of WiNG APs like 76xx, 75xx, 8533, 8432?

What are parameters affect to this? And how to estimate the max number in real operation?

Thanks so much.
9 REPLIES 9

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
There is no a+b=c forumula as there are a lot of parameters involved.

I'm pretty sure every vendor includes the max theory value in the datasheet as a real value depends on the client traffic.... customer#1 uses the WLAN only to connect some barcode scanner that use 50kbit/sec and customer#2 uses the WLAN to transmit 4k vides streams.

It's obvious that customer#2 can connect less clients then customer#1 per AP/radio.

But also other parameters on the infrastructure affect the client number... MBR, # of SSIDs, channel width, CCI, .....

You'd learn more about WLAN design in this training/book...

https://www.cwnp.com/certifications/cwdp

Thanks Ronald!

Ondrej_Lepa
Extreme Employee
Hey Son,

in theory we allow up to 256 MUs per radio but in real world you do not want to go above ~20 (based on standard)

Consider the air medium as half duplex, add necessary ACK frames, FSPL and re-tries, different standards b/g/n and air-time fairness etc.
Having 256 clients stable is an utopia.

Regards,
Ondrej

Hi Son,

I agree with Ronald's response below.
To determine maximum number of concurrent wireless clients you have to determine the clients' demands first.

There is a lot of reading you may find to learn more about it.
The most recognized, apart of below mentioned CWDP, I'd also point out RevolutionWiFi portal

Regards,
Ondrej
GTM-P2G8KFN