Mixed stack made of X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and X440-24x-20G

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered

Can I form stack using two X460-G2-48t-10GE4 units and two X440-24x-10G ?
I have 2 VIM-2ss cards in X460 units and total of 8 SR SFP+ modules. I would like to use 2 VIM cards + 1 cable and 6 pcs. of SR SFP+ modules as alternate 10G stack-v ports to form a ring.
This equipment is already bought and there is no real chance to replace the hardware (unless it's faulty, of course).
Did anyone make such a stack (or similar) working ?
I know that theoretically this can be possible, but can anyone confirm ?

Photo of Robert Zdzieblo

Robert Zdzieblo

• 1,040 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Patrick Voss

Patrick Voss, Employee

• 11,214 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Robert,

I have not set this up myself. If you want you can check this out in our stacking tool. It lets you simulate building a physical stack and will let you know if there are any caveats:

Paired up with this document explaining how to use it:

You should be able to find what you are looking for.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Photo of Paul Russo

Paul Russo, Alum

• 9,694 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Robert

This is explained in the SummitFamily_HW_install guide that you can download from our website here http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit/Summit_Family_HW_Install/Switch_ovrvu/summit-family-...

there is a section about building stacks and provides examples using stacking ports and Alternate ports.

Hope this helps

Photo of Robert Zdzieblo

Robert Zdzieblo

Hello Patrick and Paul,
Thank you for info about StakingTool - this tool confirmed that it is possible to build the stack using switches I mentioned.

In fact, I was able to build such a stack "in real life" today with properly elected X460G2 nodes as master and backup and X440 nodes as standby. The only difference is that I was using exos image on all nodes - StackingTool says 16.1 is the max. hardware supported version (?), I guess this needs updating. Stack didn't come up automatically, I have to make some extra configuration steps manually, but then I got full ring topology.
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 36,016 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Robert, I cleaned up the replies here, per your request.
I'll also pass your note about the 16.1 maximum along to the stacking tool developer.  Should be an easy fix.

Photo of Mac Lee

Mac Lee, Application Developer

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Robert, we've updated the tool so that it more correctly references the maximum versions -- 16.x in this case, to show a "soft maximum" compatibility with 16.1, 16.2, and potential future sub-versions beyond 16.2. The same notation is in place to cover hardware compatible through 22.x as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Photo of Robert Zdzieblo

Robert Zdzieblo

Thank you, guys for quick response !