Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed stack made of X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and X440-24x-20G

Mixed stack made of X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and X440-24x-20G

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Hello,

Can I form stack using two X460-G2-48t-10GE4 units and two X440-24x-10G ?
I have 2 VIM-2ss cards in X460 units and total of 8 SR SFP+ modules. I would like to use 2 VIM cards + 1 cable and 6 pcs. of SR SFP+ modules as alternate 10G stack-v ports to form a ring.
This equipment is already bought and there is no real chance to replace the hardware (unless it's faulty, of course).
Did anyone make such a stack (or similar) working ?
I know that theoretically this can be possible, but can anyone confirm ?

BEST REGARDS, Robert
6 REPLIES 6

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Hello Patrick and Paul,
Thank you for info about StakingTool - this tool confirmed that it is possible to build the stack using switches I mentioned.

In fact, I was able to build such a stack "in real life" today with properly elected X460G2 nodes as master and backup and X440 nodes as standby. The only difference is that I was using exos 16.2.1.6 image on all nodes - StackingTool says 16.1 is the max. hardware supported version (?), I guess this needs updating. Stack didn't come up automatically, I have to make some extra configuration steps manually, but then I got full ring topology.

Thank you, guys for quick response !

Robert, we've updated the tool so that it more correctly references the maximum versions -- 16.x in this case, to show a "soft maximum" compatibility with 16.1, 16.2, and potential future sub-versions beyond 16.2. The same notation is in place to cover hardware compatible through 22.x as well. Thanks for the feedback!

--Mac

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Robert, I cleaned up the replies here, per your request.
I'll also pass your note about the 16.1 maximum along to the stacking tool developer. Should be an easy fix.

-Drew
GTM-P2G8KFN