cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast communication on L2 vlan

Multicast communication on L2 vlan

Nitish_Gupta
New Contributor
I have two servers S1 and S2 connected to extreme BD switches Sw1 and Sw2 resp. We want to exchange the heartbeat from S1 to S2 via S1 - SW1 - SW2 - S2 over the multicast range. Both the servers are in same vlan. For accomplishing this if i disable the igmp on that vlan will it start forwarding the multicast traffic.

If any other node connected to that vlan do we need to take that node out of that vlan if they do not want to receive that traffic.
14 REPLIES 14

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hello Nitish,

1. Enable IGMP and IGMP Snooping on the vlan level, which is enabled by default.2. Assign an IP to the vlan with the same subnet that S1 and S2 servers. (To have an IGMP querier)

3. When you start the mcast application, the server will join a mcast group that will be created in the switch. (That's is automatic through IGMP protocol)

For IGMP querier election you just need IP address configured to 1 switch. However you can have this configuration applied on both switches.

Nitish_Gupta
New Contributor
So, i have to do below -

1. Enable IGMP and IGMP Snooping on the vlan level, which is enabled by default.

2. Make that vlan L3, assign an unicast range Ip address.

3. Add the Multicast ip address to make the switches join the multicast group.

This configuration is to be done on both the Switches Sw1 and 2.

Thanks

Henrique
Extreme Employee
That IP should be in the same subnet that your S1 and S2 servers. Not the mcast group.

Nitish_Gupta
New Contributor
Even if thats from the multicast range..I am not sure which ip should i assign to the new vlan, multicast or unicast one?
GTM-P2G8KFN